How often do you clean your car?

I am impressed how many here clean on weekly basis. I clean maybe twice or thrice a year. My cars get very “dumpy”. I look at a messy car as a security measure.

Although I have been cleaning my wife’s car by necessity more often though. She gets twitchy if I let her car get too dirty.

Also, I have a coworker who is an absolute car care negligent. Whenever employees go out to lunch, he has to explain to us that we cannot use his car because it is filled with trash. NONE of his passenger seats are useable. They are covered by food wrappers, bags, cups, and all the other garbage associated with eating out. It’s miserable to look at but also kind of entertaining. And he is single, unsurprisingly.

I gave up a few years ago, both my vehicles sit outside and it's impossible to keep the outside looking nice. Now I run them thru the car wash now and then and vacuum them a couple times a year.

I had a nice setup at home using a soft-water attachment for my hose. Had a filter you took out and let soak in salt water.

Last edited:
I wash my car every few months. It gets dusted daily & every other day I do a wipe down with diluted ONR. I wax it every few months, nearly with each season change. Trash gets tossed at the gas station when I fill up & it gets vacuumed maybe once a month

I am impressed how many here clean on weekly basis. I clean maybe twice or thrice a year. My cars get very “dumpy”. I look at a messy car as a security measure.

Although I have been cleaning my wife’s car by necessity more often though. She gets twitchy if I let her car get too dirty.

Also, I have a coworker who is an absolute car care negligent. Whenever employees go out to lunch, he has to explain to us that we cannot use his car because it is filled with trash. NONE of his passenger seats are useable. They are covered by food wrappers, bags, cups, and all the other garbage associated with eating out. It’s miserable to look at but also kind of entertaining. And he is single, unsurprisingly.
I never washed my fox body Mustang. The windows were kept clean & I'd vacuum it maybe once a month. The only time I washed it was a day or 2 before an HPDE track weekend. It was nicknamed 'the pile' & is still called that by the current owner

Whenever i feel like it, i work at a detail shop so if business is slow on any given day i'll at least do a quick vacuum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221027-204110~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-204110~2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 13
Not nearly as often as I used to.

I think the last time I did any real cleaning was when I washed both Explorers back in probably May. They both got washed with Duragloss and a vacuuming, then some Mother's VLR on interior surfaces. The 1994 is only driven occasionally and spends most of its time under a carport, so it doesn't get that dirty. The 1997 is driven daily and is always outside, so it needs a cleaning, but isn't nasty. I think the biggest basic thing you can do is keep trash cleaned out. I don't wash or even vacuum my vehicles often, and a thorough cleaning is probably a once a year thing, but trash is removed daily. The 1994 Explorer literally smells like a new car inside, though some of that may be from its newer Weathertech cargo liner.

Another thing is avoiding parking under trees. I generally keep my Ranger parked at work so my driveway is a little more freed up. I had it under a tree for a while and it got filthy. I don't hand wash that one though, I treated it to the Bubba's car wash foam bath with light show when it got bad, that was maybe July. Now I keep it in a more open spot and it stays a lot cleaner.

when i have the time :/ Its always filthy from work.Even if i spend hours washing and waxing it, after 1 day in the parking lots at work and it looks like i never did anything to it.So its discouraging to say the least.

I gave up a few years ago, both my vehicles sit outside and it's impossible to keep the outside looking nice. Now I run them thru the car wash now and then and vacuum them a couple times a year.

I had a nice setup at home using a soft-water attachment for my hose. Had a filter you took out and let soak in salt water.

yeah those filters are good at saving paint jobs. the worse thing a person can do is to wash and rinse a car with "city" water full of chemicals if you do not plan to dry it off ASAP. the water will start to stain + spot / etch the paint pretty quickly.

I'm to the point I usually don't even wash it in the winter (don't really have salt to worry about in WA). It will look the same again after 20 minutes on the highway. Usually around spring the cars get a good detail and regular washes thru the summer though.

Last spring. Mother Nature takes care of it. It’s too **** hot and I’m too **** cheap to take it to the car wash.

I get my Tahoe hand washed and waxed every 3-4 months. With constant passing showers every single day it is a waste of time doing it anymore. But I do take bird dumping off it every day of the week. I do not park under trees.

We used to have one of those guys too.... He had a Ranger truck he bought new and soon it was piled as high as the windowsill with junk on the passenger's side. He'd drive with a coffee cup on the dashboard, and invariably some would splash out and it would get all over the dash, never to be cleaned of course. Occasionally he'd leave an old donut on the dash long enough it would get moldy and melt away into a blob. A real rolling biohazard.

yeah those filters are good at saving paint jobs. the worse thing a person can do is to wash and rinse a car with "city" water full of chemicals if you do not plan to dry it off ASAP. the water will start to stain + spot / etch the paint pretty quickly.
Years ago I had a neighbor that let his sprinkler system hit his car parked in the street all the time, I didn't notice any damage to the paint other than the build up of hard water stains but it etched little pits all over his windshield.

Back