How often do you check your oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check the oil once a week, in the AM, before I crank up the engine. I like to check the oil after it has settled down all night to get an accurate idea of what's in the pan.

In the winter, with cold weather and lots of warm ups, I check sometimes 2 times a week. I don't burn any oil but it's just a habit.....IMO.....a good habit.

Every two weeks in the Aerostar, the other two don't use any oil so I check them once a month.

All depends on the vehicle trend. I have 3 vehicles and I don't add any oil between oil changes. So I check the oil now every 2-3 weeks just to get under the hood, but I'm checking up on other things too.
Can't say the same for some others I have had.
Any new vehicle (new or used) at first is checked often, then I adjust accordingly once I get things figured out.

Many say before a long trip, but no one said after a long trip. My truck will consume a smidge after hiway speeds for a few hours, so I always check after a long hi speed trip. Otherwise no usage around town.
I also only check my dipstick on a bone cold engine. At the gas pump, all the oil is still hanging up in the engine and I feel I get a more accurate and consistent reading sticking with cold motor. Either way its fun to check it to see color differences.

Hello everyone and what is OCD? Maybe me just didnt understand that. I check mine about two times a week, and check my tires also twice where I get my morning newspaper at the GET GO as they have a air pump there. Doesnt use any oil or burn any.

I check about once per month to see if I can fit another ounce of M1 EP in the oil to freshen the fill.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
Hello everyone and what is OCD?

I'd tell you, but then I'd need to wash my hands a few times and then count the silverware before I could continue my day....
laugh.gif

Every 1,500 miles. Usually add about a half-quart then too (at least in the car).

Going to try Penzz HM and see if I can't cut the consumption down.

The '66 Mustang with a rebuilt 289 (last year) gets driven 2-3x per week; still checking it every time before I roll it out. I read a post on the Classic Mustang Forum last year about an individual that lost his oil in newly rebuilt motor within < 500 miles and decided that would NEVER happen to me. Yes, I'm obsessive about it.
The Hondas and Windstar - about once or twice a month.

My vehicle does not burn or consume any oil...but out of habit, I still check it once a week.

On Sundays I do a 30 mile round-trip at 60 MPH speeds. I put it into my garage...let it sit for about 10 minutes...and then check the dipstick.

Last edited:
I used to check it every time I bought gas and I fill up at half a tank. However, I've found that it really needs to be checked after it's had time to drain back down, so now I check it every couple of weeks. Based on the findings reported on the Neptune site, I add even if it's just 1/4 qt low.

Every fill up, and I try to do it at the same gas pump with a level surface for the car to eliminate that variable.

I was trained as a pilot to do it before starting out in an airplane every time, but we are talking about cars here and every fill up is my compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back