How often do you check your oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, once a week on Saturday. That said, I don't often ADD oil even if it's down a bit. Most vehicles I've owned, by the time they were down a quart (if they used any oil at all) it was time to change it anyway.

heh every 2 or 3 days because my Daily Driver is a leaker
smile.gif

I check the dipstick about a couple weeks after an oil change, and then again about 2 months after that. That's when my 2 cars never consumed oil. now that my old BMW is burning about 1/4 quart every 1K miles, I'll have to check more often.
frown.gif

Never. OCI about every 4000-5000 miles. 96 Toyota Avalon, 185000 mi.

I lied! Checked it just before changing it last time. OCI then was about 6500 mi. Was less than 1/2 qt. low. Had intended to trade for another Avalon but haven't had time and everything works on this car, so don't have a lot of incentive to be in a hurry to trade. Decided not to take a chance on anything happening before trading.

I very rarely check the oil in both of my cars, since neither of them burn any oil. I usually wait until about the 5k mark and then check it, but the level is always full. I'll also check it a couple of days before I'm about to do an oil change, just to see if the level is still full (and with both cars it always is)

If I start to notice either engine is using oil, I'll begin checking it more often. When I had my old 95 Firebird Formula, I would check it every 1000km (and add 100ml of oil at that point too, since it burned/leaked that much)

The Sienna doesn't burn or leak any (at 150,000 miles), so I only check it every 1,000 miles. The Land Cruiser leaks a little and burns depending on driving conditions, so I probably check it on average every 250 miles.

Usually once per month just before initial startup so as to get accurate dipstick reading; sometimes more or sometimes less, mostly to check on oil colour.

crashz wrote:
quote:

Every other tankful. Its easy while your right there at the gas station.

Just curious, but how do you get an accurate level reading in this manner?

Sorry that it took me so long to reply. I was busy checking my oil.

I check it once a week, every Sunday night as part of my 5 minute "preflight" check for the upcoming week ( oil, fluids, funny smells, squirrels/cats in the engine compartment, etc.). I don't burn oil and never have. (My car doesn't burn oil either).

Probably average once a month. Neither the Accord or the Corolla use oil but every morning as I'm walking toward the car to go to work, I eyeball the tires and under the front end for anything out of the ordinary.
I don't know how a person can walk up to their vehicle and drive away with a soft tire or "puddle" under the car. Geez...I can't help looking at my NEIGHBOUR'S car for leaks too !!
P.B. (eagle eye, ear to the ground)

Is NEIGHBOURS an American spelling ??
We spell HARBOUR , FLAVOUR, CHEQUE etc.
canada.gif

quote:

how long will the dipstick last?

Funny stuff. Dipstick is immersed in oil, well lubed, removal and reinsertion speed low, makes for low wear on the dipstick. Could coat the upper parts with grease because they don't see much oil.

Careful you CAN break off your dipstick, from habitually checking your oil
freak2.gif
- some of you might remember that I JUST did this at the end of summer.

$75 for removal! Incase anyone's curious
lol.gif

FWIW - I've never been a rough dipstick remover/inserter
nono.gif

I go about every 2 weeks, probably because I buy new and know the history. My last 3 new GMC Sierra's did not use any oil, knock on wood...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back