How often do ya'll change your oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm averaging 2 oil changes a year - Late November & Late May. Each OCI is around 6K miles. Should I be changing the filters at each OCI or should it be yearly. Filters aren't expensive but I hate wasting stuff also...........

I change it out everytime I change the oil. I mean, I too hate wasting money, but you just never know what may be inside that filter, unless you cut them open and by then, what's the point? That way, I look at it like I'm SAVING money. Let's see.....filter costs VS. engine work.....well, you know the answer to that.

I change the filter everytime I change the oil. Filters are a relatively cheap part and there is always the potential for a problem with the filter (anti-drain valve, by-pass, etc.). Also, the filter's job is to catch crap so why not get it out of there. Besides, I hate the idea of running clean oil through a dirty filter.

Change the filter each time. Any spin-on filter should be changed at or before 6 months.

As I have sid before..not changing the oil filter is like changing a baby's diapers without cleaning up the baby's butt.

Right now, still in wty, I change oil at 7500 (as a heavy highway driver, I'll go to 10k post wty). I do an extra filter change at MIDTERM (3750), just to ensure maximum filtration throughout the life of the oil. Probably overkill, but I see it as cheap insurance.

Some car mfg. recommend changing the filter every other oil change (Honda is one example).

Personally I have never been able to bring myself to wait and I change the filter with every oil change.

John

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Right now, still in wty, I change oil at 7500 (as a heavy highway driver, I'll go to 10k post wty). I do an extra filter change at MIDTERM (3750), just to ensure maximum filtration throughout the life of the oil. Probably overkill, but I see it as cheap insurance.

Pretty good plan, I think. I do this too.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Patman - I know what you saying (writing), and I'm not saying that it will necessarily harm anything to leave that oil in there....but I just believe WHEN you do decide to change oil...change ALL the oil.

Trust me, I'm the same as you Pabs, I'm just having some fun!
smile.gif

When I change my oil I like to get every last drop that I can out of there too, which is why I wait until it stops dripping completely, and will even pour a half quart of new oil into it at the very end to help "wash out" some more dirty oil before I button things up. I typically let the oil drain for 90min to 2 hours when I do my cars!
smile.gif

I can’t stand the idea of changing my oil … but leaving that dirty filter with 4-6oz. of the dirtiest oil in a can still screwed onto the motor.
freak2.gif

My Dad went around 6,000 miles over this past winter on the same batch of Pennzoil 5W30. when it was drained, it looked dark and a little thin … but not alarmingly so. However, when I pierced the filter and drained it, the oil which came out was visibly darker and actually had visible streaks of contaminants in it.

I don’t think a typical filter with less than 10,000 miles on it is in any danger of clogging, but I’ll always change them with the oil.

--- Bror Jace

Every 5,000 miles with an oil change. I run my car hard, and take it autocrossing and to the track, so saving a little on a filter isn't important. (Heck you spend more on gas in 5,000 miles)

quote:

Originally posted by doyall:
Shouldn't leaving the old oil filter on theoretically eliminate the dry start problem associated with a new un-primed filter?

At the risk of establishing myself as the noob smartass, I've got that base covered too. I pour fresh oil into the new filter before installing it. It takes a bit of hand gymnastics to get it on cleanly, but it can be done. I don't achieve 100% fill, but I do get a lot of the capacity filled.

when i change the oil which, depending on the car can be 5000 miles, 10,000 or 12,000 miles. IMO they are pretty useless and my UOA has not changed whether I change the filter at 6000 miles or 12,000 miles, 6 months one year, makes no difference in the UOA or the contents of the fitler either.

per ekpolk:

quote:

At the risk of establishing myself as the noob smartass, I've got that base covered too. I pour fresh oil into the new filter before installing

Nothing nooB, S.A. about this....at all! I doit with my cars...well I mean prefill the OF's...

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
At the risk of establishing myself as the noob smartass, I've got that base covered too. I pour fresh oil into the new filter before installing it. It takes a bit of hand gymnastics to get it on cleanly, but it can be done. I don't achieve 100% fill, but I do get a lot of the capacity filled.

Not taken as a S.A. answer. Just throwing it out for possible discussion. As a matter of fact I always have my filter changed with every oil change. Only wish the fast lube would prime the new filter ...

chefwong, the BMW oil filter is engineered to go 15,000 to 17,000 miles. Just look up the UOAs I've posted on a 2000 BMW 528i. After 15,000 miles, the insolubles are at a perfectly acceptable 0.4 (you want it to be
Replacing the BMW oil filter before 15,000 miles is a complete waste of money.

I`ve posted this before, but ya all could do as my freind does. Drain the oil, leave old filter on, fill with oil, run around the block a couple of times, drain the oil again and change the filter this time and fill with oil again. Yep, that`s right, he changes his oil twice every time. I told him he was out of his mind, but to no avail. Also he trades cars every two years with about 50,000 miles. What a waist of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back