How Often Change Honda DW-1?

On G2 Ridgelines the OLM maintenance minder will ask for a transmission oil change along with one of the engine oil changes somewhere under 30K miles .
Interesting. Makes you think that Honda isn't "calculating" the life of the fluid that much based on engine RPM, etc, etc. Well, presuming you use your Ridgeline like a car, i.e. no towing, minimal loading, and so on. Honda is programming it to say to change the ATF much sooner than is typical in their 2 or 4-door vehicles, which seem to go 60-90k miles before it says to change the ATF.

not 100% sure now, I remember watching a YT video shot in Japan where they went over the ATF change, they placed 'next ATF service' sticker with 40K km interval.
That could be no different than the oil-change places that notate the next oil change in 3000 miles or whatever random mileage they pick.

25k miles is really on the low side though.

If I am not mistaken Honda recommends changing all fluids every 30k except for antifreeze.
nope:

"...Honda says it normally doesn't need changed..."
and the 150K mi on mine ('04 Accord) looks/runs fine w/one of those 'never chnage' guidelines.
Newer models? I'm not sure... the auto tranny is not something I do on hondas that new

I did some searching and I couldn't find any guidelines. And there's nothing in the owner's manual. I found nothing on YouTube. I couldn't find anything here.

If you want to keep your Honda indefinitely, how often would you change the DW-1. 30K? 50K?
Every second oil change.

If I am not mistaken Honda recommends changing all fluids every 30k except for antifreeze.
No, they don't. Their dealers might but dealers are not "Honda".

Newer models? I'm not sure... the auto tranny is not something I do on hondas that new
It's built into the Maintenance Minder now. There may be some "logic" in calculating the mileage but it seems that their SUVs, minivans, and truck aim for closer to 30k but coupes and sedans are 60-90k.

As @Hall mentioned, the mileage between drain/fill depends on the model and usage. Vans/trucks seem to require more frequent replacement than cars, and towing or other severe conditions change things, too. For example, I tow frequently with my Odyssey, and DW1 didn't hold up very well in this situation (noticeable changes to the shift "feel" after a 1300 mile trip with a 17 ft boat). I switched to full synthetic ATF about 7 years ago to minimize this issue. So far, Pennzoil Platinum LV, Maxlife, and Amalie have all performed similarly, with somewhat better durability than DW1. I say "somewhat" because the shifts still get a little sloppy after towing, just not quite as bad as with DW1. Regardless, I do a single drain/fill each year (15k miles) to keep it fresh.

WoW, I dont get it.
On normal duty I thought Honda said "No change needed life long". All U guys
are way under that. Buncha yrs (most) w/merican cars we change out filter'n
fluid but not these... Plez elucidate need (mechanically) I need schoolin~
I guess #34 sez it all 'depends on Y/M/M & use'~

Last edited:
Change the CVT fluid every oci or every other. BG CVT 303 gets added also. Going to either Lubegard CVT Restore or Hotshot Restore after I use up all the BG.

WoW, I dont get it.
20 yrs ago, Honda spec'ed 120K for normal and 60k for severe. Subsequent changes were at shorter intervals.

Currently Honda says go by the Maintenance Minder. On the Pilot's I've seen the message show up as early as 20-25K.

WoW, I dont get it.
The greatest threat to ATF seems to be heat which is greater in heavier vehicles than in lighter vehicles. An ATF cooler (part of the Honda tow package) helps, but my shifts still degraded after towing. IMO this shift degradation is the result of heat-induced changes to the fluid, given that fresh ATF restores the shifts. However I have not done a UOA to confirm.

In all fairness, the Honda trans probably wouldn't grenade if the ATF were left alone for 100k+ miles, but I am not willing to risk it. I generally keep my vehicles well over 100k miles, but if this were a lease vehicle I would probably be less concerned with longevity.

As @Hall mentioned, the mileage between drain/fill depends on the model and usage. Vans/trucks seem to require more frequent replacement than cars, and towing or other severe conditions change things, too. For example, I tow frequently with my Odyssey, and DW1 didn't hold up very well in this situation (noticeable changes to the shift "feel" after a 1300 mile trip with a 17 ft boat). I switched to full synthetic ATF about 7 years ago to minimize this issue. So far, Pennzoil Platinum LV, Maxlife, and Amalie have all performed similarly, with somewhat better durability than DW1. I say "somewhat" because the shifts still get a little sloppy after towing, just not quite as bad as with DW1. Regardless, I do a single drain/fill each year (15k miles) to keep it fresh.
Ever try lubegard transmission protectant?
It lowered my atf summer temps on the highway by 13 Celsius.
Shift quality holds up very well.

Back