How Often Change Honda DW-1?

Ever try lubegard transmission protectant?
It lowered my atf summer temps on the highway by 13 Celsius.
Shift quality holds up very well.
I never tried it with DW1 but, instead, just switched to full syn ATF about 6 years ago when I encountered issues. Since then I have added LG to Maxlife and it seemed to work fine. However, I did not try to extend the service interval so i cant say for sure whether it was beneficial. It may be particularly useful in heavy/severe service with DW1 but i am not aware of any reports on this combination.

When I 1st bought my 05 Element w 192k miles on it the previous owner was not sure of trans d&f but knew it had been done. Fluid was pink and not burnt smelling so I did 3xs d&f's about 500 miles apart and now will keep up w every 30k miles. It does have an inline filter and will swap it at next d&f.
On Honda's severe service schedule on my Element they spec changing the trans fluid at 60k initially and then every 30k going forward. Nothing is specified for normal service but fluid is cheap every 30k miles and a rebuild/new transmission is not.

Just thinking about it, but Honda went from a recommendation of every 30K or 2 years miles to one later where it was maybe 120K miles or 10 years where it was done four straight times. Seemed rather wasteful, but the torque converter maintains about 60% of the fluid after one drain.

Now it's probably considered a lifetime fluid. At least it's not like how Toyota didn't have a brake fluid replacement recommendation.

You need to consider how the car is driven. Stop and go driving is harder on the car in general than highway driving. My wife's ancient Accord is driven mainly on short trips. I drain and refill 3 quarts of the automatic transmission fluid yearly.

Yes red bottle....i was told you could use platinum, but that has even more friction modifiers and is not really necessary.

It really works to shorten the shift times and lower temps.

Acceleration and mpgs always improve in any car we have used it in.....thats 12+ and counting.
Wasn't aware Red was compatible with DW-1. Thanks.

From the Service Manual for 06-08 Honda Pilot: Every 30K miles for severe (for most of us normal) conditions:

tranny fluid change interval 07 Pilot.JPG

With some Hondas known for weak transmissions, I choose to do a spill and fill every year. So that's every 6K - 10K miles. Fluid cheap, trannies spendy.

The only guideline (official) would be more modern Hondas in which the MM gives a code to change the ATF. Anything else is just opinion.
I don’t really care about official guidelines. If I’m worried about maintaining a vehicle long past the warranty, I will periodically sample the fluid and check to see that the viscosity, TAN/TBN, and contamination are in check, then adjust my maintenance plan according to what the fluid tells me in my specific application and usage characteristics.

That’s what I would recommend for anyone looking to keep their machines healthy, and it’s not opinion when it’s tailored to the specific machine based on data.

If you want opinion, I would change Honda auto trans fluids in the 20-30k range. 😎

I tow frequently with my Odyssey, and DW1 didn't hold up very well in this situation (noticeable changes to the shift "feel" after a 1300 mile trip with a 17 ft boat).
Ryan, more an observation and question… the Odysseys have “fuzzy logic” for their shift quality, and considering you likely drive quite differently pulling a 17 foot boat, did you ever happen to do a UOA on the DW-1 and/or a shift logic reset before dumping it for another fluid? I’m no DW-1 fan but I’m just wondering if there’s something with Honda’s fluid that exacerbates changes in the shift logic? (Additive-wise). MolaKule has said before that because the Ody’s trans is essentially an automated manual, Honda’s add pack is significantly different from what most normal ATFs contain. Trying to connect some data with perception rather than relying on subjectives. Thx

DW1 is not synthetic. Use Maxlife or Amsoil SS blue cap. 190K on a 08 CRV before getting rid of it. Currently 47K on the 19 Pilot 6 speed.

I do D&F every oil change, which is 5k on average. Complete overkill but I got a bunch of free DW1 so no worries there. Although, you'd be surprised how dark it comes out after only 5k in service. Note, VCM is disabled

Ryan, more an observation and question… the Odysseys have “fuzzy logic” for their shift quality, and considering you likely drive quite differently pulling a 17 foot boat, did you ever happen to do a UOA on the DW-1 and/or a shift logic reset before dumping it for another fluid? I’m no DW-1 fan but I’m just wondering if there’s something with Honda’s fluid that exacerbates changes in the shift logic? (Additive-wise). MolaKule has said before that because the Ody’s trans is essentially an automated manual, Honda’s add pack is significantly different from what most normal ATFs contain. Trying to connect some data with perception rather than relying on subjectives. Thx
Good question. I have not done a UOA or reset the shift after towing. Replacing the fluid worked so I just continued with that practice. In retrospect at least a UOA would have been a good idea and may have provided insight into the issue.

Back