We found jumped wires in our fuse panel because I guess they didn't have those screw-in glass fuses.
Half the house was not even fused and some plugs were on the same circuits as the level below. Was a real night mare to fix.
Dad and I bought a new panel and did it all because there was a disconnect from the utility in the garage separate from the fuse panel.
We wanted to wire it for our generator anyways. Now we shut the utility fuse off and fire up the Gen and it powers the whole house as long as we don't exceed 60 amps.
Looks about like some of the stuff I had to fix in our attic after we bought our house. Incredible.
Seriously. I hope a city code inspector never looks at my parents house - much of the basement is wired with EXTENSION CORD type wiring!
Hasn't burned down yet in it's 40 year existence (knocks on wood).
When we moved in the house had a combination of Romex(sp?) BX both copper and aluminum and whenever they needed another plug or switch they would "hide" a junction box to make the connection somewhere where it was impossible to get at. Some weren't even screwed/nailed down to a floor joist and just left hanging.
The wires were all resting on the edges of the boxes waiting to cause a fire.
Needless to say we ripped out all the wiring, put in a sub panel with a heavy duty 220 line from the Garage (main panel) and then rewired the basement and anything upstairs we could gain access to from the basement into the new sub panel.
So the whole basement is newly wired with copper and the whole upstairs is still original Aluminum. Unfortunately we would have to break walls to replace so we left it as is. We did replace the Stove/fridge wiring with copper because these are higher drain devices that weaken aluminum over time.
My dad calls them shoe-makers, I call them drunk-monkeys!
Gotta love the double boxes.....with two different kinds of box.
I had one horror story house....to many infractions to list...thank goodness it had only had Al wire for the big stuff, one was the electric WH - they wire nutted to copper in the device... which is bad enough, but it had melted the wire nuts and was shorting to the access cover so I just put a local panel box in. Easy enough to do it right!!
Yes sir I do. It's an automatic switch and when the utility power goes out it defaults to the Generator line, or when the Generator is running with utility power still available we can manually switch it over in which case it disconnects us from utility power.
It's a neat little box that keeps us safe!