How not to treat a Mercedes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely amazing! A car treated in that manner is still running at 240k miles. However, my religious and sometimes neurotic maintenance schedule yields vehicles that start falling apart before 150k miles. Maybe I should just drive them and carry them to Jiffy Lube every other year. Absolutely amazing.

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
Absolutely amazing! A car treated in that manner is still running at 240k miles. However, my religious and sometimes neurotic maintenance schedule yields vehicles that start falling apart before 150k miles...

It's funny how that works, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: drewjp
This story is better than the time I witnessed a woman used the window squeegee at the gas station to clean the salt off of her brand new black E350 Mercedes. The entire car from top to bottom.

Man,she got the dumb [censored] award for that one!!
33.gif

Not judging your friend but it's very possible to be sick in the head and that wealthy/ successful. Similarly wealth ("affluenza") is a sickness that often leads to neglect of cars, houses, trophy spouses...

LT4 vette and simple gifts are right. when it dies, it will be your fault. i went through it before. i did a tire rotation for a female friend, and about 2 weeks later, her motor blew up (idiot light on -- no oil). she thought that my tire rotation had something to do with it. that's why i NEVER help out females with vehicles, outside of famliy.
there had to be an olm/idiot light go on in the instrument cluster. since it's a woman (big surprise), she likely thought that the idiot light was "pretty". not knocking women -- almost always, these stories point to a woman. the worst one that i saw was a woman pouring about 1/2- 3/4 of a jug of windshield washer fluid into the oil fill hole of a recent jetta. this happened at a car wash. the woman had her hood up, and i went over and asked her if she needed a hand. she snapped back that she could do anything that a guy could do. so -- i smiled and watched her empty the washer fluid into her oil. i started to laugh, and she asked me why i was laughing.i responded, "you'll find out in about 20 minutes". that made my day. how's that one, drew ?

I'm still trying to get my head around 60k miles of use a year! Thats 100,000 kilometers! It takes me 3 years to get there, and I feel that I drive a lot!

What does this person do - sales?

I knew a guy who could not remember what kind of oil his car took to save his life, even though it was printed on the filler cap. He was clueless when it came to cars. He had one that kept making an evil clunking going around corners, which was his CV joint. I warned him to get that checked before it failed completely and left him stranded. About 6 months later he was bemoaning the fact he got stranded because his CV joint let go and how it didn't give him any warning before it failed. I reminded him of that clunking noise I had warned him about "Oh.". One time was fun when I volunteered to replace the starter that he had destroyed the one way clutch on, since he often held the key until the starter was screaming, no matter how many times I told him not to. We go to the parts store, and he didn't know what year his car was. Needless to say, that starter didn't last long either. Probably the crowning moment came when I had to teach him about the high beams. He had no idea how to turn the high beams on. Scary.

Alcibiades, now I'm curious... what's the story behind leaving the car a day before her trip to Florida? It's probably more interesting than the oil story and may shed some light as to what kind of person she is.

My brother was the same way. Every time the truck would start knocking he would add 1qt of oil and keep driving. Didn't change the oil/filter for 52K miles. Sold it with 252K miles and somehow it still ran just fine, it was a 92' F-150 with the 302.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
When it dies, it will be your fault.

Been there done that....

Back in high school my girlfriend's mom was looking for a car.
She test drove a mega-junker Cavalier with a nasty lifter tick, and 2 quarts low on the dipstick.

I told her to take it back and walk away. Well she bought it anyway, and it was my fault that I didnt "look at it more closely" for her when it died. Never heard the end of it til I broke up with the daughter!!

People who dont do maintenance on their cars refuse to accept any responsibility, and love to blame others when something goes wrong.
smirk2.gif

My friend is an absolute idiot when it comes to maintenance. he never fixes anything until it destroys something else. he never changes his oil, never washes his car, forget about waxing it. Interior looks like a total junk heap with tons of [censored] all over the place, millions of pieces of mail and he will sit and let the car/truck idle until the cows come home. I swear, that if it were up to him and if he could get away with it, he would NEVER TURN OFF HIS CAR! He would go to sleep and leave it on.

I have actually begun to hate him for this. His indifference to this really infuriates me.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
My friend is an absolute idiot when it comes to maintenance. he never fixes anything until it destroys something else.

Ahh... another car that will make it far beyond 200k miles.

Holy [censored] that is ridiculous-funny. Well, I bet she had a clear view of the tow-truck that dropped her car off at the repair shop. LOL! What a maroon!

Originally Posted By: yeti
the worst one that i saw was a woman pouring about 1/2- 3/4 of a jug of windshield washer fluid into the oil fill hole of a recent jetta. this happened at a car wash. the woman had her hood up, and i went over and asked her if she needed a hand. she snapped back that she could do anything that a guy could do. so -- i smiled and watched her empty the washer fluid into her oil. i started to laugh, and she asked me why i was laughing.i responded, "you'll find out in about 20 minutes". that made my day. how's that one, drew ?

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
I have actually begun to hate him for this. His indifference to this really infuriates me.

It's time to go to your friend and lend him $100. If you're lucky, you'll never see either of them again.

Originally Posted By: Alcibiades
Someone I know has an '04 ML 350 (3.7l v6), and needed to park it at my house for a day before going on a long trip (long story in itself...). I noticed that the brakes were noisy, and upon inspection found that the right front rotor was literally desintigrating. Pieces of it would break off at the slightest touch, and the pads on that side were way worn into the hard metal. So I told her she would never make it to Florida like that, and offered to replace the front rotors and pads. No problem. Luckily the calipers were still ok.

Then I checked the oil and found...nothing. The dipstick was totally dry. So I opened the drain and what came out was like goopy black jello, one small teaspoon sized plop at a time. I asked her how long it had been since she had the oil changed, and she said, "Oh I don't know, maybe 40,000 miles?"

After picking up my lower jaw from my chest I filled the sump with Supertech 10w30, of which it took 4 qts to fill, removed the filter element (can't have been any worse than using the filter that was already in there--I should have taken pictures), and ran the engine for about 30 minutes. After that it started draining well, and I went for a new filter and 9 qts of Syntec 5w40, which is not a minor expense. It took 8.5 qts to fill it, which is about what it should take according to the Amsoil online guide.

It is amazing the thing is still on the road with about 240,000 miles.

Remind me to not buy any more used vehicles. Stories like this make me very uncomfortable...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Holy [censored] that is ridiculous-funny. Well, I bet she had a clear view of the tow-truck that dropped her car off at the repair shop. LOL! What a maroon!

Maroon?
LOL.gif
Just messin with you man.

Quoted for truth from Bugs Bunny himself.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Challenger71

Maroon?
LOL.gif
Just messin with you man.

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
Absolutely amazing! A car treated in that manner is still running at 240k miles. However, my religious and sometimes neurotic maintenance schedule yields vehicles that start falling apart before 150k miles. Maybe I should just drive them and carry them to Jiffy Lube every other year. Absolutely amazing.

Same as my experience. Makes me wonder...

Quote:
think there should be a basic car maintenance part of a drivers license test so that the bare-minimum guidelines are covered.

Great idea! Even a safety feature as it would reduce roadside breakdowns.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back