How much to paint a Corolla hood?

The '07 in my sig, getting it together... I'm not a body guy & don't have enough room in my tiny garage. No rust, but I think it got hit by every piece of gravel on I-75 for the last 10 years or so. Just basic black, really don't want to wrap or rattle can it.

Price will depend on the labor rate in your area, multistage vs. single stage paint, and overall condition of your hood.

Many body shops will offer quotes for free.

The '07 in my sig, getting it together... I'm not a body guy & don't have enough room in my tiny garage. No rust, but I think it got hit by every piece of gravel on I-75 for the last 10 years or so. Just basic black, really don't want to wrap or rattle can it.
My sister has a 05. Her's was damaged during an act of vandalism. The quotes were between $1700-$3k.

Junkyard. How many colors of corolla are there? 4? Millions on the road, must have 10 of 1000s wrecked in the yards. JMO.
This is your best bet if you can find one. Body shops are overbooked in most places so there not in a big rush to take on small jobs anyway.

From the Mitchel's Labor Rate manual,

Refinish hood 2.3 hours
add for clear 0.9 hours
bodywork to sand and strip 0.5 hours

total labor 3.7 hours at $60/hour = $222
paint and materials about $80
Total: around $300 retail

Rates here:

$135/hr for paint and body
$165/hr for mechanical labor
$60/hr for paint supplies
Yup, plus the cost of paint. $$$

Good body shops don't like small jobs. Not worth their time to pull a good worker away from a paying job. So they will quote whatever they want. Now if you are using Joe's Back Alley joint without a $20K paint booth and but a HF air compressor that's different.

Last edited:
Rates here:

$135/hr for paint and body
$165/hr for mechanical labor
$60/hr for paint supplies
Paid $900 to strip the peeling clearcoat and paint the roof, hood, both fenders, and front bumper cover plus blend into the doors.

006.JPG

028.jpg

.5 is not going to be enough to properly feather prime and block it if there are chips all over it.. Probably at least 2.0 maybe more.

I will look Cincinnati labor rates up Monday, but $60.00 is probably in the ball park. Need to figure P&M too probably something $45.00 per refinish hour for that.

That does not look good at all.
You can't overshoot your market flipping 25 year old beaters. I think it looks fantastic.

OP should look into the "$50 paint job" with thinned rustoleum, brushed on. Prep will be important as the pits will probably show. Figure out what to fill them with, that will be durable in the sandstorm that will follow.

OP should look into the "$50 paint job" with thinned rustoleum, brushed on. Prep will be important as the pits will probably show. Figure out what to fill them with, that will be durable in the sandstorm that will follow.
A friend did that with a Home Depot Husky compressor and spray gun in his garage on a beater VW. It didn’t look half bad.

If you really want to be adventurous, $80/gallon at your local Benjamin Moore dealer: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/contractors/corotech-high-performance-coatings/corotech-command

It actually does resemble a 1K urethane basecoat from a chemistry perspective. PPG’s Envirobase HP/Nexa Aquabase Plus does resemble latex paint in its formulation.

No rust right now? The local auto paint guy recommended to me, scuffing it up and especially around the chips, spray some high build primer, sand again, spray the high build primer, sand again, then a light coat of your colour, then a heavier coat to gloss up...
I did it around the wheel arches and it looked decent at 20', but I was trying to blend into the rest of the fender. A whole hood might be easier, and then wax the whole car, at least its all shiny then, if not all finished the same.

Somewhere between 55-60 per hour body labor and refinish labor. Somewhere around 38-42 per refinish hour for P&M, there will probably be nominal charges for hazardous waste and perhaps cover/bag the car.

I bought my hood used and the wrong color. 99c can of rustolium peel coat did it good. Another 99c for a newspaper to put over your windshield if you are fancy. Get complemented on the car often.

Back