How much should I charge for this?

Got a guy that makes and installs ac upgrades to the 80's Mercedes cars.

You people already know how much I hate MB cars!

Anyway he does the installs then brings the car to me to pressure test with nitrogen and charge.

This latest car is a pain. He had someone else make a hose. I pressure tested it and it leaked.

He took the car and fixed that.

Brought it back, pressure tested it again and found a line he left loose. Fixed that and pressure tested it a 3rd time and it's good.

The nitrogen setup is not real expensive now that I own it. I do have to drag the cylinder down to the welding place across town to get it filled when it runs out.

I'm into the car a couple hours at this point and 2 nights after my regular job. What's a fair price since no other shops will work on his stuff and no shops use nitrogen to pressure test. A few may use moist shop air!

Was there any discussion with the car owner what the charge would be before the work started? If it took 3 tests because of the owners faults, then he should pay for 3 tests.

Avg of 30 to 45 min times 3 tests would be 1.8 hrs times your rate. If you want to give him break, charge for 1.5 hrs.

I'm assuming the electrical work was separately charged.

Was there any discussion with the car owner what the charge would be before the work started? If it took 3 tests because of the owners faults, then he should pay for 3 tests.

Avg of 30 to 45 min times 3 tests would be 1.8 hrs times your rate. If you want to give him break, charge for 1.5 hrs.

I'm assuming the electrical work was separately charged.
I usually charge this guy $80-$100. He supplies his own refrigerant. All I do is pressure test,evac and charge

It depends. You're either in a flat rate business or an hourly business.

Do you charge less if it all goes really fast? If yes, then you should charge more for a job that took longer.

If no, them he should be charged the usual amount. But considering you had to do the service at least a second time you might charge (as much as) for 2 services.

I recall the mechanic I was apprenticing with as a teenager, stating that if you do a job for free, or at a greatly reduced rate, in the customers mind that's all the job was worth.

If you value your time, expertise, and materials, I'd say close to $300.

I recall the mechanic I was apprenticing with as a teenager, stating that if you do a job for free, or at a greatly reduced rate, in the customers mind that's all the job was worth.

If you value your time, expertise, and materials, I'd say close to $300.
Yep and if they say that’s too much money then the person can take their car elsewhere.

Be more clear about how the electric problem figures in (costs) since you mentioned it.

MAYBE, if the guy is a friend, giving a discount for the 2nd (failed hose) attempt is fair IF IT TOOK LESS TIME?

If the swing is $80-$100 to $300 you just gotta "pick a number".

Not being nasty here. Did you do your part once, twice, two-and-a-half or three times? ...that kind of math.

edit: Kinda what Vladiator said.

Last edited:
You only evac’d and filled once I presume. In that case, you should charge him for how long the work actually took you. The rest is up to you based on his reaction.

If he’s a good customer and you want to keep him: if he guffaws at the cost, tell him, “I’ll tell you what. You’re a good customer. I’ll only charge you for two pressure tests and an evac/fill. You get one free. How does that sound?”

Who tasked you with fixing the electrical problem? The guy who brought it in for the HVAC work or the owner? I’m sure you didn’t do it on a whim.

Charge for 3 tests. The failures aren’t your fault so I can’t see him having a problem with that.

If you want to be nice, give him the 3rd one 50% off or so.

If he is a “good” customer, then he is willing to pay for the work you did. Charge accordingly. If he is upset with the amount of time you took fixing his mistakes, then he is not a good customer. It is OK to fire bad customers, in fact, your business depends on it.

Itemize your bill, describing all that you’ve done and why it took so much time. Charge fairly. Odds are, he’ll be back. If he isn’t, that’s a bonus.

From a bar owner I knew in the 1980s. If you run a business, never ever give away something you sell. Give away something you don't sell is just fine. The example was to never given a patron a free drink, ever. Give them a hat, t-shirt, anything you don't sell.

When you give away something you sell to a returning customer, they come to expect it and get hurt feelings when they don't get the "freebee" next time.

Nobody is doing the service you are providing. No reason to discount or give it away. Your are doing high quality work- don't be afraid to get paid for it.

Not sure what you should charge, but what is your setup for charging the system with nitrogen? The systems on my helicopters are massive and I'm tired of pulling a vacuum and guessing or using a sniff kit and guessing.

Back