A/C Restored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally got this fixed after several days of no A/C, during a cen. Tx heat-wave. That was brutal. Interesting that during this extended outage, the max. indoor temp reached was 92F. Indoor humidity rose to around 56%. Daytime temps were 104 - 110F. Solar heat index around 135F each day. Watering the roof & Southern wood siding did help.

Getting the right information, quotes and people to call back was the problem. For example, some wanted $98 just to show up. Others $0. Some charged tax, some did not. Multiple substitutes for R-22 were mentioned; others stressed ONLY USE R-22!! Seems everyone was busy, thus the delays. I narrowed down the field to three firms out of thirteen called.

I was hoping to have it fixed last Monday but no joy. Tues around noon instead. Guy that was sent wasn't the one I'd been talking to. Matter-of-fact he was still in trade school! He didn't come prepared either. Had to leave and come back as he wasn't told I had a R-22 system. So he didn't pick any up. Also didn't have any nitrogen to pressure test my repair, so he used a nearly-empty jug of R-422B. (I didn't think that was kosher....)

With 60 psig, no soap bubbles on my repair. I was expecting it to be tested closer to 200. Told him I wanted it checked again after it was up & running with the proper amount of refrigerant. He was amazed my repair worked. Next up was a deep vacuum for 50 min. while he left to fetch another bottle. He didn't have a "micron" gauge. I noticed 30" HG on the blue dial.

When he returned, he turned off the pump. Vacuum didn't drop for 10min. so in went the charge. He goofed though by not weighing the new bottle first, so he didn't have a starting weight when full. I was charged for 7 pounds, which is about right. With a sight glass it was easy to tell when pure liquid was being delivered to the TXV.

It took a total of 8hrs of continuous running to bring the indoor temp close to 78F. Everything inside kept releasing heat as the temp dropped. I sprayed the condensor several times during this stage. Fortunately I'd previously cleaned both coils and installed new filters to maximize airflow. I was charged for 1.5hrs of labor (only when he was on-site), but he didn't keep track of his time. So it was a WAG. All total I paid $340.

It's a good thing I was here and knew what needed to be done and stayed close while he worked. I wasn't going to leave him alone with it. Besides, it was drier outside than in though hotter. As noted, he made several rookie mistakes including leaving his gaugeset & tools in the dirt.

I never did hear from my friend re: his vacuum pump. Nothing. Odd that. "Loaning" from AZ is more "Hazard Fraught" than HF. They expected me to pay for vacuum oil, then didn't have any, then told me a different deposit when I was there vs. over the phone. It didn't dawn on any at either store I went to that a vacuum pump is useless without oil. I walked out. Idiots....

No problems after several days now. Indoor temp is down to 78F & 37% humidity. It was quite an adjustment to getting used to A/C again.

Another issue I fixed had to deal with were the compressor electrical connections: Copper corrosion inside the wiring insulation, metal quick-connects that were black due to over-heating. While testing during the evening early on, I noticed a bright flash from one upon start-up. Closer examination revealed the wiring insulation had melted from the inside out due to the heat from the electric arc. When asked about where to get these right-angle, 12ga. wire quick-connects, the tech gave me several. They needed to be modified a bit to lower their profile so the compressor electrical cover could be installed. This work was straight-forward. I also took a wire-brush MotoTool to the compressor connectors to clean them up, then coated with PreserveIT (blue).

Finally, I bought all new SHORT sheet metal screws and ground off the pointy-tips. I won't be making THIS mistake again.

Heat & Frustration Endured. Case Closed...

Cool !! .... I mean it's cool now at your house.
Good on you for fixing the connections. I have fixed TVs in the past by looking for the arc/spark in a dim room
thumbsup2.gif

We take most everything for granted until it stops working.
frown.gif
Glad it's working for you again.
smile.gif
Visited my daughter in Prosper Texas 2 yrs ago...it was 105°. Geez even at 10PM it was still hot at night.

You risk heat stroke living in the house like that. I can't take that kind of heat. Would have gone to a hotel or slept in the car with ac going

Living in Texas I keep a window unit on hand to at least keep the master bedroom cool if the main unit goes out. Also use it if power goes out, hooked up to my generator.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You risk heat stroke living in the house like that. I can't take that kind of heat. Would have gone to a hotel or slept in the car with ac going

I hear a little carbon monoxide helps you sleep great!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
[font:Times New Roman][size:11pt]
... "Loaning" from AZ is more "Hazard Fraught" than HF. They expected me to pay for vacuum oil, then didn't have any, then told me a different deposit when I was there vs. over the phone. It didn't dawn on any at either store I went to that a vacuum pump is useless without oil. I walked out. Idiots....

This seems to be the case every time anyone ever tries to get a vacuum pump from AZ... I told them I would gladly pay for the oil if they could sell me a full, unopened bottle - which they didn't have. I then asked if that was the policy then how did they end up with a half pint? She finally gave in and poured the remaining half bottle of oil into the pump and told her coworker to order more. If it's a consumable item for a kit, why would you not keep it in store? - just like when I returned the pump they were going to "ship it out" because it needed a new oil fill cover and plastic cap for the second vacuum inlet - both cheap, simple, replaceable wear items.

I chose the more diplomatic route because I didn't have "walkin out" money at the time... come to think of it, I'm still broke - but my car's got working A/C.

glad you got it fixed, despite not having a seasoned pro on hand to do the labor. I know it can be nerve wracking to watch some people work - especially when you're paying good money. I absolutely refuse to pay someone more than I make to do a worse job than I would myself. Consequently, I have a lot of unpaid and disputed bills.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Living in Texas I keep a window unit on hand to at least keep the master bedroom cool if the main unit goes out.

I do the same thing.

I came to hate central a/c. Wish I did not have it. Constant issues with the air handler. My condo complex has had a lot of water damage from leaky air handlers. Most was from snowbird units leaking while they were away. The entire line of condos under them were damaged with mold and other issues. Dew point levels are in the high 70's to low 80's down here so there is a lot of water going thru the system. At night I keep the a/c set at 68 degrees so it is almost constantly running. When I am out during the day I generally set it at 77 or 78 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
Originally Posted By: Bud
Living in Texas I keep a window unit on hand to at least keep the master bedroom cool if the main unit goes out.

I do the same thing.

I came to hate central a/c. Wish I did not have it. Constant issues with the air handler. My condo complex has had a lot of water damage from leaky air handlers. Most was from snowbird units leaking while they were away. The entire line of condos under them were damaged with mold and other issues. Dew point levels are in the high 70's to low 80's down here so there is a lot of water going thru the system. At night I keep the a/c set at 68 degrees so it is almost constantly running. When I am out during the day I generally set it at 77 or 78 degrees.

Had one 5kbtu “storm unit” but bought two more when waiting for control parts for 2 year old system ... well, just hauled those two to my son since his old system went down

This old unit has been remarkably reliable. Going on 28 yrs now. Techs mostly assumed it was much newer as few bothered to ask its age. It was my fault through a mistake it quit. That's never happened before. Won't ever happen again either.

I would definitely have a small window unit + generator if I lived on the coast. Also a bug-out-bag, water purifier, etc. Far too many are completely unprepared as evidenced by Hurricane Harvey a year ago.

Unfortunately most air handlers here are located in the attic, which gets them out of the way, but also causes poor access for annual maintainence. (No basements here).

Obviously, those of you in NE don't need it. Further, you should never come down here in the Summer: You'll Melt! Seriously!

Equipment life & satisfaction is greatly based on installation, proper sizing, sufficient supply & return airflow, and annual cleaning. Humidity removal is a big deal here; very important to comfort and indoor air quality. Here's an example where it's way out-of-control: Local library has t-stat set on 72F, but indoor humidity is 65%. Unfortunately this condition is not rare down here: Lots of 'sorta-cool' houses & commercial businesses with way-to-high indoor humidity levels. I've brought this up to the director several times. One would think this important in a library, located in a hot & humid environment, with thousands of BOOKS....PAPER BOOKS.

Another item important to regularly inspect is any heavy-gauge aluminum wiring used in high-voltage, high-amperage circuits like indoor air handlers. Over time it will creep and oxidize which can lead to a loose connection, which increases the probablility of an electrical arc which will greatly exacerbate the condition as metal is vaporized. This is a major fire hazard waiting to happen. I keep an eye on these. It is worth a mention whenever your system is checked: Make sure all HV/HA aluminum wiring joints are tight with no signs of arcing.

This old unit has been remarkably reliable. Going on 28 yrs now. Techs mostly assumed it was much newer as few bothered to ask its age. It was my fault through a mistake it quit. That's never happened before. Won't ever happen again either.

I would definitely have a small window unit + generator if I lived on the coast. Also a bug-out-bag, water purifier, etc. Far too many are completely unprepared as evidenced by Hurricane Harvey a year ago.

Unfortunately most air handlers here are located in the attic, which gets them out of the way, but also causes poor access for annual maintainence. (No basements here).

Obviously, those of you in NE don't need it. Further, you should never come down here in the Summer: You'll Melt! Seriously!

Equipment life & satisfaction is greatly based on installation, proper sizing, sufficient supply & return airflow, and annual cleaning. Humidity removal is a big deal here; very important to comfort and indoor air quality. Here's an example where it's way out-of-control: Local library has t-stat set on 72F, but indoor humidity is 65%. Unfortunately this condition is not rare down here: Lots of 'sorta-cool' houses & commercial businesses with way-to-high indoor humidity levels. I've brought this up to the director several times. One would think this important in a library, located in a hot & humid environment, with thousands of BOOKS....PAPER BOOKS.

Another item important to regularly inspect is any heavy-gauge aluminum wiring used in high-voltage, high-amperage circuits like indoor air handlers. Over time it will creep and oxidize which can lead to a loose connection, which increases the probablility of an electrical arc which will greatly exacerbate the condition as metal is vaporized. This is a major fire hazard waiting to happen. I keep an eye on these. It is worth a mention whenever your system is checked: Make sure all HV/HA aluminum wiring joints are tight with no signs of arcing.

How do you know the humidity in the library?

You know when it's hot outside? When you arrive at work at 7:30am,get off at 6:00pm,and your engine is still at operating temperature
laugh.gif

In Texas a couple weeks ago, I had never seen 125 degree oil on a bike that had been parked all night.
eek.gif

Of course, I also hadn't seen 275 degree oil on that bike.

That's odd. Doesn't make sense either. I can put my palm on the sled motor after about 4.5hrs when the hood is opened to let the heat out. Plus, it has far more mass to cool than a bike.

You broke the No-Yankee law, venturing down here during the Summer!

I don't see how the bike riders do it. "Dressing for the slide, not the ride" + full face helmet during Summer can easily give you heat exhaustion or sunstroke. At the least, massively dehydrate you leaving all of your clothing soaked with sweat.

As far as A/C repair goes, all is well. Sight glass clear, indoor humidity currently at 41%, indoor temp at 78F. Outdoor heat index still at 101F with 61% humidity as I type.

Sure glad that outage is over....

78 degrees? I'd be bathed in sweat, sitting around in my boxers. We live in a cooler, although miserably humid climate, and keep it at 72.

Good work getting the system working again. In my old house it would die on us every 2-3 years, and it was always a capacitor. Quick call to the A/C guy, $200 service call later and the house was cool again.

That's odd. Doesn't make sense either. I can put my palm on the sled motor after about 4.5hrs when the hood is opened to let the heat out. Plus, it has far more mass to cool than a bike.

You broke the No-Yankee law, venturing down here during the Summer!

I don't see how the bike riders do it. "Dressing for the slide, not the ride" + full face helmet during Summer can easily give you heat exhaustion or sunstroke. At the least, massively dehydrate you leaving all of your clothing soaked with sweat.

As far as A/C repair goes, all is well. Sight glass clear, indoor humidity currently at 41%, indoor temp at 78F. Outdoor heat index still at 101F with 61% humidity as I type.

Sure glad that outage is over....

Mesh riding gear and lots of water and Gatorade. Mesh gear is cooler than just a T-shirt.

Of course, my wife jogged 3+ miles in the 95-degree heat with no issues. Houston in July is bloody brutal.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You know when it's hot outside? When you arrive at work at 7:30am,get off at 6:00pm,and your engine is still at operating temperature
laugh.gif

I have had a few days here where the temp gauge wasn’t all the way down after work. We don’t get over 100 very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back