How much should I charge?

I have the AC machine,tank of Nitrogen ect to properly charge r134a AC systems. Done a couple lately but not charging what we were getting at the shop.

A lot of shops can do a regular recharge on a normal car. Nobody will touch custom stuff. I did one today on a custom built system for a guy.

Pressure test with nitrogen went well. Pulled a vacuum,let it sit and it did not bleed down so I charged it

Total time spent was 75 min and 25 oz of r134a. What is my knowledge worth?

I've paid $150 for vac testing & A/C charging at a radiator shop and thought I was getting a good deal for my geographical area (greater St. Louis). I wouldn't know or care if it took 15 minutes or 3 hours; I cared that my A/C works at an affordable price.

What did you get paid per hour as an employee? Do you have overhead costs of a repair shop? Material and the cost of your time plus a bit for the machine. Cash in pocket or reportable income?

Why not come up with a basic flat rate recharge rate and post on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace? List a few basic cars and then say others will be more....

Why not come up with a basic flat rate recharge rate and post on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace? List a few basic cars and then say others will be more....
I really do not want strangers coming to my house. The guy today was a friend of a good customer so I didn't worry about him turning weird.

A little off topic but is it common practice to use a micron gauge in auto ac or just to pressurize with nitrogen?

A/C service is highly regulated by state and federal governments. Many required permits and licenses not to mention heavy fines for simple infractions as simple as record keeping. I'd think twice about doing a/c work from home for compensation. One disgruntled customer reporting you to the EPA or even zoning, could be a huge headache.

A/C service is highly regulated by state and federal governments. Many required permits and licenses not to mention heavy fines for simple infractions as simple as record keeping. I'd think twice about doing a/c work from home for compensation. One disgruntled customer reporting you to the EPA or even zoning, could be a huge headache.
As long as you don't vent refrigerant in the atmosphere I don't see what the big deal is, im assuming Chris has an EPA card. They sell r134a containers to everyone at auto part stores as DIY, if it was anything serious selling it would be more regulated.

Back