How much salt is usually on your vehicle in the winter?

I try to keep it off when I can.

I do use Fluid Film on my vehicles and it works great in my experience.

Here's my 11 year old Crown Vic, daily driven in Wisconsin. Fluid Filmed since almost new. 100k miles. Pictures taken recently
IMG_20220116_123711044.jpg
IMG_20220116_123732418_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220116_123745628_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220116_123751477_HDR.jpg

Zero. I grew up in New York and don't miss it. No salt or ice melt of any kind in the Seattle area as they don't like the runoff of for the Salmon.
Lolwut

The salt the absolute hell out of the roads in the Bellevue area when it snows or gets icy, my rigs were absolutely caked in after the recent storm

They used to not salt or use ice melt in the past, but starting around ‘08 or so they’ve really gone overboard with it

For the last three weeks, this what it’s been like driving in New England. Three consecutive weeks of temps bellow 32, with several days bellow 10. Three consecutive weeks of so much salt on the road that you are driving through clouds of it (as it’s being kicked up off the road).

I’m trying to picture, and remind myself, about those harsh conditions people talk about when discussing oil change intervals. I think I’m hitting a few of them right now. Extreme cold, dusty conditions (except instead with salt, which is worse). Never mind the actual snow I’m spinning tires in. 😁

I’m really impressed with the hybrid ceramic spray wax I’ve been using. It has kept my 3 cars that are winter driven fairly clean. We had 10” over the weekend as well as above freezing temps, creating slush (and refreeze). While the cars aren’t necessarily clean, they are way better than I’ve seen before I started using the spray wax. I couldn’t stand driving my dirty cars, but now I don’t feel as bothered.

For the last three weeks, this what it’s been like driving in New England. Three consecutive weeks of temps bellow 32, with several days bellow 10. Three consecutive weeks of so much salt on the road that you are driving through clouds of it (as it’s being kicked up off the road).

I’m trying to picture, and remind myself, about those harsh conditions people talk about when discussing oil change intervals. I think I’m hitting a few of them right now. Extreme cold, dusty conditions (except instead with salt, which is worse). Never mind the actual snow I’m spinning tires in. 😁
Come on over to Minnesota. Those conditions describe December all the way into March!

Lolwut

The salt the absolute hell out of the roads in the Bellevue area when it snows or gets icy, my rigs were absolutely caked in after the recent storm

They used to not salt or use ice melt in the past, but starting around ‘08 or so they’ve really gone overboard with it
You are one of few places on this side of the mountains.

I once tallied the number of days I drove through salt in a winter. The number was 40. That's how many days a year it takes to rust your car.

I run the F-150, Jeep, and the Honda through the automatic car washes on a regular basis. I have unlimited washes and pay every month however it doesn't keep the vehicles from rusting. I usually get rid of them before any rust shows up. Generally around here the vehicles show rust in 7 to 10 years and there is not much you can do to stop it.
There are rust prevention sprays that will go a long way to prevent rust

Back