How much is kerosene?

Prepackaged fuel of any sort is always costly no matter if it's California or "Freedom", Texas.

Speedway has it near me at the pump for $4.299 per gallon.
But Ohio charges sales tax on kerosene so it is $4.62 a gallon in my county.

The kerosene pumps in Ohio are only allowed to have a 3 foot hose length.

Prepackaged fuel of any sort is always costly no matter if it's California or "Freedom", Texas.

Speedway has it near me at the pump for $4.299 per gallon.
But Ohio charges sales tax on kerosene so it is $4.62 a gallon in my county.

The kerosene pumps in Ohio are only allowed to have a 3 foot hose length.
I have never seen kerosene from a pump here.

Last edited:
Probably not much demand for kerosene where your at. I'm in the country so there are quite a few stations around that have it. People use it for heating and we have decent amount of Amish who use it for their kerosene lamps. Was 3.99 a couple weeks ago when I bought some.

Really wish I had some local aviation friends though. Seems like all the good stuff is at the airports. I could use Jet A and Avgas both.

Got an orchard heater ( don't call it a smudge pot here lol). Been running our bio diesel in it but it's not a very good fuel for it.

Was looking into using kerosene but that's super expensive here,likely because it's a petroleum product. Heavily taxed? I dunno.

Ace wants $10 a gallon. Is this a normal price?
Do you use this outdoors? I’m trying to imagine where I’d use one of these as I’ve never seen this type of heater before. I’d call the local airport for jet fuel.

Not indoors! I guess you never heard of a smudge pot?We have a spot behind our house we sit at. And camping trips
Oh I've heard of them all right. They're used to prevent frost damage in orchards.

But it sounds like you're planning to use yours for outdoor recreational heating. I'm not sure I'd use either kerosene, diesel fuel or jet fuel for that purpose. They'll have an unpleasant odour (that unburned jet fuel odour you sometimes encounter in airports).

In our area we use propane for recreational heating. And if we want something cozy and retro - firewood.

Did you try using a propane torch to light it? (In the video he uses MAPP.)
I remember seeing those, as a kid, in the citrus groves.

Also, it needs a wick. In something that size a bar towel would probably do, or a shop rag. Something that helps expose it to more air and give it some elevation away from the pool.

K1 Kerosene at a pump is not hard to find here. I paid 3.69/ gal for 10 gal. a few days ago. No road taxes or sales tax on it or off road diesel. Kerosene heaters were wildly popular in the 70's and 80's and some still use them. You legally need a blue official kerosene jug or can.
The packaged kero and gasoline at hardware stores will always be silly priced.

Oh I've heard of them all right. They're used to prevent frost damage in orchards.

But it sounds like you're planning to use yours for outdoor recreational heating. I'm not sure I'd use either kerosene, diesel fuel or jet fuel for that purpose. They'll have an unpleasant odour (that unburned jet fuel odour you sometimes encounter in airports).

In our area we use propane for recreational heating. And if we want something cozy and retro - firewood.
Those fuels are what it uses. Once it gets going there is no smell. It's kind of a toy really. Something different to stand by.

Many people are adding gas to get them lit but that's not safe. I finally got it going earlier with "Heet" fuel system addative. I'll post a video later.

you have to float paper towels or cardboard in the fuel like a wick, that's how they're properly lit. They are best run on diesel fuel #2. Kero will evaporate too fast and you'll have too big of a fire. They run quite well on waste motor oil too.

Interesting. I’ve never seen one before. People around here have propane/NG or wood burning fire pits or sometimes a propane heater for hanging out outdoors. That thing looks like it would be a PITA to take camping but would be cool for sitting outside.

Interesting. I’ve never seen one before. People around here have propane/NG or wood burning fire pits or sometimes a propane heater for hanging out outdoors. That thing looks like it would be a PITA to take camping but would be cool for sitting outside.
It comes apart easily. But ya better left in one place. Kinda like a wing on a Honda. Looks ok but has no real use today.

Back