How much is kerosene?

What you're trying to do is get it to take the generated heat and use it to evaporate the diesel.
For that cat food tin, maybe a minute of torch on the outside of the tin would get the fuel pretty hot then using the torch to ignite the vapor would probably make it self-sustaining. Careful. Once you're above that threshold you'll have quite a fire on your hands.

That's the secret of the smudge pot. Once it gets above critical, the only thing holding it back is choking the air.

Got it going with injector cleaner. Boy is it hot.

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_181413841.jpg
    IMG_20220108_181413841.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
Best bet is check local gas stations to see if they have pump grade K1. I heat my home with a Monitor Kerosene unit but I found out several years ago that it would run just as good on Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. I used drive about 70 miles round trip and usually bought about 25-30 gallons of kerosene at the time Now that I'm using ULSD I can get it at about any gas station in town and it's usually about a $1 a gallon less expensive. I'm not familiar with your type heater but if it has a wick diesel will probably clog the wick.

You didn't listen to what i said this is a local municipal airport i pull up to gate and tell the person i need Jet A and they let me in. They offer full service or self service at the pump.
View attachment 83796
Yea, if you pull to the gate with a PLANE like the picture shows. After 911, I doubt they would let you just drive a car into a restricted area.

Jugs of clear kerosine from box stores is $$. Add CA surcharges and taxes that might exist and it will be high.

Pump kerosine is still a thing here, but not as common as it used to be. Not all kerosine is the cleanest burning clear low sulfur k-1.

I’ve burned a bit of alcohol mixed with ULSD in my kerosine heaters in my detached garage.

Local municipal airport and it is much better than pump kerosene.
No doubt it will burn, but JP-8/Jet-A have low temperature and other additives that have proven to be very hazardous. It’s one thing if you’re transferring in open air or flying a plane. I wouldn’t want to be in close proximity to breathing those fumes with limited diluent air. Engines are effectively an air pump while a burner like this not so much.

Paid almost $8 out the door at WalMart 1½ years ago. Came in a nice gallon jug. Bought it to clean the motorcycle chain. Considering I didn't have to buy a container to put it in, $8 ain't bad.

No doubt it will burn, but JP-8/Jet-A have low temperature and other additives that have proven to be very hazardous. It’s one thing if you’re transferring in open air or flying a plane. I wouldn’t want to be in close proximity to breathing those fumes with limited diluent air. Engines are effectively an air pump while a burner like this not so much.
My house is quiet drafty due to poor insulations and single pane windows i have had zero problems. I burn what i can at the moment and if it causes me to get sick then so be it but i am not freezing.

Back