How much "leak" is normal in a toilet flap

I just saw this system last week!
is it still doing well for you? I'd like to get one of those things!

I'm a little bit wary of pressurized, plastic tanks. The flushometers used in commercial toilets provide the pressure elsewhere and are sent through metal pipes. So if the pressure vessel goes, it won't be with me sitting near it. But Flushmate and similar toilets (which are used in home and commercial settings where they don't want to provide separate high pressure) have all that right next to the user.

6137f2b9021eb.image.jpg

I'm a little bit wary of pressurized, plastic tanks. The flushometers used in commercial toilets provide the pressure elsewhere and are sent through metal pipes. So if the pressure vessel goes, it won't be with me sitting near it. But Flushmate and similar toilets (which are used in home and commercial settings where they don't want to provide separate high pressure) have all that right next to the user.

6137f2b9021eb.image.jpg
I wonder how many actual cases of those tanks exploding there actually are?

I just saw this system last week!
is it still doing well for you? I'd like to get one of those things!
I love them. NEVER had anything that should go down not go down. They just simply work. Every time. Only drawback is they're somewhat NOISY, like an airplane toilet, but they function. There used to be a plumbing supply store in town about 30 miles from us, that had one hooked up and in working order on top of a clear plastic tank on the showroom floor, if you will.
They had a bucket of golf balls next to it and invited customers to pour the bucket of golf balls into it & flush. I'll bet those golf balls sold a lot of toilets for them, they all flushed, I saw it several times.

I wonder how many actual cases of those tanks exploding there actually are?

Enough for recalls of the Flushmate II and Flushmate III. I believe they work by using line pressure to slowly built up vessel pressure. But they’re using plastic pressure vessels.

I love them. NEVER had anything that should go down not go down. They just simply work. Every time. Only drawback is they're somewhat NOISY, like an airplane toilet, but they function. There used to be a plumbing supply store in town about 30 miles from us, that had one hooked up and in working order on top of a clear plastic tank on the showroom floor, if you will.
They had a bucket of golf balls next to it and invited customers to pour the bucket of golf balls into it & flush. I'll bet those golf balls sold a lot of toilets for them, they all flushed, I saw it several times.
Cool! Thanks, the noise I don't care too much about.
I'm somewhat concerned about exploding tanks though. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

6137f2b9021eb.image.jpg
Used to have a Sloan Flushmate at home just like this one, that thing leaked air slowly twice on me and both time I found out that it was recalled and was replaced for free. 1st time they send me a redesigned tank that uses less air pressure, and the 2nd time they send a guy out to do the work and the replacement tank is reinforced with 2 metal straps to reduce the amount of blast damage.

The replacement flush cartridge when it starts leaking air cost $60 each back in like 2012, probably last about 5 years.

Eventually the bowl leaked and I replaced it with a newer 1.6L high efficiency one from Kohler. It is not pressurized but it actually flush better. I think today there's no point using this pressurized tank design and it is better to just use those newer design with better flush instead.

Enough for recalls of the Flushmate II and Flushmate III. I believe they work by using line pressure to slowly built up vessel pressure. But they’re using plastic pressure vessels.

The way it works is they let the line flow that fills the tank to slurp in the air through a valve. When the pressure build up it will stop the flow with a check valve. When you flush, the air in the same tank would push the water out.

Back