How much gas do I burn when I floor it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious...I know it kills gas mileage, but how much extra gas am I really burning when I floor it in my Jeep? Lets say I'm stopped and I floor it for ~5 seconds with my 4 liter engine. Does anybody know aproximately how much gas is used?

cool.gif
All depends on the engine size, induction system, camshaft timing, axle ratio, etc. Have to put some kind of meter on the fuel line I suppose to be accurate.

I know, that's why I said aproximate.
wink.gif
Just looking for a rough idea, I really don't have a clue. It could be half an ounce or 12 gallons...
dunno.gif

Not as much as you might think. I put, it was a Zemco or something, computer/cruise control on my 81 Phoenix. It was a long hard job, but I had a blast with it. You could set it to continuously read out several things including current MPG. It had the V-6 and a manual. I think even at WOT I was getting at least 10 MPG. I did some steady cruising at 60-70 MPH. I lost about 2 MPG for each 5 MPH I went up. I think running 75 on 2 lane roads gave me in the high 20's on a trip. I would like to know if the more areodynamic cars now lose less milage as speed goes up

Trip average MPG was fun too. Fill the tank. Start the engine, and it read zero. it would jump up as you crawled to the street, and then go up when you pulled out. Stop signs hurt the mileage much less than red lights.

The Phoenix was a fun car, dog dish hubcaps, little chrome, 4 door hatchback, but a V-6 and a 4 speed. The X-bodies got a bad rap.

As a guess, I'd assume a BSFC of .45 to .5lb per hp per hr.

Say 200hp, then you'd be using 100lbs per hour, or 0.028lbs per second. 5 seconds is 0.14lb, or about 1/3 of a cup.

As a guess, so maybe a bit less than 1/4 cup over a sedate takeoff.

My car has a built in data display and one of its modes is instantaneous mpg. Sustained foot to floor driving gives about 3 mpg, but I can't do that for too many seconds in a car with 300hp. Car is rated 24mpg highway and I get 24mpg highway. The fuel usage computations are very accurate and I know how exactly much gas it is going to take to fill up the tank.

Keith.

quote:

Originally posted by hkkc:
Keith, curious what 300hp beast you drive around?

Cadillac Seville STS, with the Northstar engine. Pretty solid motor, I redline it often in the lower gears. The motor has a tendency to build up carbon, so it is recommended to drive WOT (wide open throttle) occasionally to blow out the carbon.

That's my excuse
smile.gif

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back