How many UOA/OCI with the same oil to get a good reading.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
of how well the oil is doing in the engine. 2 UOA's with at least 3 intervals of the same oil to get a good *accurate* reading is my plan.

I'm on my 2nd run of Redline 5W30 and on the next OCI, I will do a UOA off this batch and then change again with Redline 5W30.

By then, my batch of Redline will be depleted and then I will try Amsoil, GC, etc.

What methods do you guys use if you want to determine which OIL works best in your engine.

I'd say for most oils, the second time around is as good as it gets. Some oils like redline might need 3 OCIs before they give the best results.
Rick

quote:

What methods do you guys use if you want to determine which OIL works best in your engine

chefwong, I'm pretty much convinced that it really doesn't matter what oil you run. We have seen enough proof that for 3-5k intervals, a good dino oil is fine. For extended drains and high performance, synthetics are a wise choice. We have seen good and bad with Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline. I've used Mobil 1, Amsoil and now RL and havn't seen any difference in wear. I only went 5-8k miles on average but wear rates were similar. Certain engines like certain oils. I'd go with Amsoil ASL for your SUV. You have to establish some trends to really see if one particular oil is doing better then another, although even that is controversial.

Thanks guys. I'm coming from the old school of changing oil on the 5K mile intervals as it was easy to track (10K, 15K, 20K) etc and always used Redline as it was supposedly the best.

Now that I've come across BITOG, I'm SLOWLY becoming more knowledgable on oil, FSC, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back