How many times have you switched sides on the thick vs. thin debate?

True. Posted as mostly hypothetical to solicit a response. My opinion is that an engine will outlast the rest of the car-truck regardless of the 0W20 or heavier oils used.

For most cars it probably will. However we want our engines to run like new or even better than new at all points of ownership.

My Turkish mother and myself, yes. Toms River, NJ during a vacation at the "shore". Now substituted by the old man on the beach in Florida.

The Breakers, Palm Beach last weekend. By the way, it was the wife, with her Murcielago, whom everyone wanted to test their new "sports" cars:

View attachment 131516

You would think that a 60 grade oil with its high MOFT would save the ill manufactured parts but it seems never to be the case. There must be more to it than a single measurement. Or that the highest HTFS would save the part. Guess again. The Renewable Lubricants Inc. oils I use have viscosity indices in the 200 range yet have given me the best results on high end oil analysis running even several grades below specification. Compression tests in some of the higher milage cars were always excellent as well.

Lab tests and mathematics are one thing. The best test is to put the stuff in a car and go for it!

ali
Another great picture Ali! Two beautiful people! (y)

Thanks. One more question if I may… Is it the belief that the oil in your engine determines how well it runs?
Have you even driven a used car where dino oil was used and the OCI was whenever the owner remembered? It doesn't run good and likely uses oil.

When you change it frequently I agree that the types of oil become less important. However, as manufacturers use more turbos, low displacement, DI engines, start/stop technology oil starts to be stressed more and important again.

Plus, we are car people and interested in the topic.

Have you even driven a used car where dino oil was used and the OCI was whenever the owner remembered? It doesn't run good and likely uses oil.

When you change it frequently I agree that the types of oil become less important. However, as manufacturers use more turbos, low displacement, DI engines, start/stop technology oil starts to be stressed more and important again.

Plus, we are car people and interested in the topic.
Oil and engines are in a completely different place now. The playing field is closer to level and the engines are designed to last with a long time of engineering behind it... What is a “car people”?

I use 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30 and 0w-40 depending on the vehicle, the season, and even sales. The differences I notice are subtle.

My Titan runs 5W-30, 0W-20 is recommended. Currently it is using up 0W-20 stock but will go back to 5W-30 in a week or so.

My Charger runs 5W-40 Euro, 0W-40 is recommended.

My Corvette runs 5W-40 Euro, 5W-30 is recommended.

5w30 in my cars and 10w30 in my pickup year round, don't get into thick and thin oil debates. :LOL:

Is there a debate? Am I required to pick sides? My motorcycles live on 15W-40 Rotella T4 so I must be in the thick camp but I run 5W-30 all year in my cars. For the motorcycles, they don't need a winter grade because frankly, I don't drive them unless it is 50 degrees F or above. Our lowest winter temps are in the 20s and typically above freezing. Our summer temps are typically in the 70s-80s and rarely higher than 90 so the cars are perfectly happy in that middle range.

Is there a debate? Am I required to pick sides?
Of course you are not required to pick sides , but let's face it there is usually a debate going on about almost everything here . Brands , weights , OCI , DIY verus shop , brand name tools versus Harbor Freight , you name it . A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing ... ;)

Back