How many small oil companies are out there?

Member foxtrot got me thinking about this. I’ve heard of Penwood Lubricants, Mystik, Traveller oil etc. just curious as few quick lines here use Monarch Synthetic blend by Shell for oil change specials.

Thank You all in advance.

The only ones I was ever familiar with were Redline and Royal Purple, which of course are no longer "mom and pops". They're now corporate giants like the rest of them.

Amsoil comes to mind as the only mom and pop I can think of.

The only ones I was ever familiar with were Redline and Royal Purple, which of course are no longer "mom and pops". They're now corporate giants like the rest of them.

Amsoil comes to mind as the only mom and pop I can think of.
Amsoil does still claim to be an independently owned oil company. I would assume HPL in Manteno, IL is the same. Both make excellent products.

Last edited:
What about Omni that makes O’Reily oil?
Omni is another Blender and private (house) label company.

"In addition, we perform custom blending, packaging, processing, and product design services, as well as the production of lawn and garden equipment lubricants for private label companies. Omni Specialty Packaging serves mass merchandisers, retailers, wholesale distributors, manufacturers, industrial users, and the oil and gas industry and they sell their products through distributors and suppliers.

Omni Specialty Packaging, LLC is based in Shreveport, Louisiana."

Smaller oil blenders like Warren Oil, Warren Distribution now Warren Highline aka much higher prices actually, Smitty's Supply, Amalie, Omni, Pinnacle Oil, Olympic, and Martin Lubricants.

And daggone there's one in California that makes a oil for some gas stations. Race Pro oils is the oil they make for those stations. Have to look up that one.

These all make legitimate very good API and Dexos rated oils. Some of these blenders are not the best with Euro spec oils. In terms of saying their oil is suitable for a MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 508 or Porsche C30 etc etc... When it's obvious they don't have the real approval.

Last edited:
Smaller oil blenders like Warren Oil, Warren Distribution now Warren Highline aka much higher prices actually, Smitty's Supply, Amalie, Omni, Pinnacle Oil, Olympic, and Martin Lubricants.

And daggone there's one in California that makes a oil for some gas stations. Race Pro oils is the oil they make for those stations. Have to look up that one.

These all make legitimate very good API and Dexos rated oils. Some of these blenders are not the best with Euro spec oils. In terms of saying their oil is suitable for a MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 508 or Porsche C30 etc etc... When it's obvious they don't have the real approval.
I've found Kirkland Signature automotive oils, apparently blended by Warrren Highline, to be the best quality and value proposition in recent years. I'm all for the smaller companies and their competitive spirit.

Co op western canada makes their own fuels. Still probably smaller market cap than amsoil. Heres a pdf of motor oil

They blend every oil under the sun. Bar oil, snowmobile oil, etc. Never had issue with their blends.
Their Elite Performance Synthetic looks to be decent (page 6). It comes in the traditional viscosities, including 0W-30 for Canada's colder climates:
Coop Elite Gas Engine Oils
:)

I still don't know which Warren makes PEAK for OldcEorld Industries. But the consensus has always been that it's one of the Warrens.

I still don't know which Warren makes PEAK for OldcEorld Industries. But the consensus has always been that it's one of the Warrens.
I haven't been to the Warren Distribution (Highline) site for a while but Peak was one of their brands listed. I don't know if it's for engine oil or anti-freeze.

There’s a number of ways to look at it. I primarily look at it if ILMA’s vs Majors.

A major is typically your vertically integrated oil company. This has gotten a little skewed because of the spin offs and such. But Mobil, Chevron, SOPUS, BP, P66, etc. are all majors. The smallest of which is Citgo (which is also Mystik) - and back in the day, Valvoline when it was Ashland chemical, now it will be again with Motiva.

You also have the odd ducks of ARG (D-A lubricants. As they have a refinery) and KPP (safety kleen). As well as now Vertex who is blending finished product. All those are companies that have refineries, as well as make product.

Your ILMAs are blenders. After all it’s in the name. Pinnacle, Allegheny, Reliance, Warren, Omni, Amalie, etc.

Then you have your contract blenders. Who only produce oil for other people. Also know as toll Blenders.

Gordon Terminal systems for oil, ITS for anti-freeze.

After that you have your brands. And anyone can have a brand if you want to do the paperwork basically.

Back