How Many miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many miles is it safe to use a oil filter before it really needs to be changed? Reason asking is I use to run Mobil Dino oil and ran 5000 miles before filter fluid change. Mobil Dino is $11 at Wally world for a 5qt jug. Mobil 1 is $22 for the same size jug. I am going to switch and double my OCI to 10,000 miles. I know people are going to say I can go farther with that oil blah blah blah but what about the filter? If I have to change the filter I am going to change the oil while I am under there. So how long is a filter good for? 10,000?

Last edited:
Most of the cheap filters can handle 5000 miles w/o issue. If you plan on going to 10,000 miles get one the Mobil 1 extended drain oil filters, it will handle 10,000 miles w/o issue. It is a well made high quality filter.

AD

extended drain is a marketing scheme. many of us here change filters every other oil change. the filter becomes more efficient with time, just buy a good quality one, like Purolator Premium Plus, Napa Gold, or Bosch, MotorCraft, ACDelco, heck even ST is supposed to be good and cheap, but personally I like to stick with a name brand when buying a filter.

I've been doing 10,000 mile OCIs for 31 years with various M1 oils and any high quality filter will go that long with no problem.I mostly use M1 filters these days.

I cut all my filters open, and it has been an excercise in disappointment for some time now. At 10,000 miles there won't be any buildup or anything that [to the naked eye] would even come close to restricting flow.

I wouldn't worry much about the filter. There is no way I would change it early.

If it's a concern, you might check to see if there is a larger filter that would fit, but you don't give the application so we can't help.

Pure One or Mobil 1 filters can handle 10,000 miles. Fair priced easy to get. That's what I'd use if I ran oil for 10,000 miles.

My wife's acura integra recommended 7500 mile OCIs and an oil filter change only once every other time...

On fram-ish type honda filters.

This tells me that 15k is an acceptable lifetime for an oil filter. My extended OCIs on our toyota previa, saab 9-3 and MB diesels show good structure and operation of cartridge and spin-on filters at >>10k miles.

Quote:
This tells me that 15k is an acceptable lifetime for an oil filter.

I agree. I'd say that 15k is an acceptable life span for any filter if 15k is compressed into a sensible time span. 5k for he same filter may be the limit depending on usage.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
This tells me that 15k is an acceptable lifetime for an oil filter.

I agree. I'd say that 15k is an acceptable life span for any filter if 15k is compressed into a sensible time span. 5k for he same filter may be the limit depending on usage.

How would you define "sensible time span?"

Well, I wouldn't do it over a two year period without an OEM approval.

The basic thing you have to determine is how much of your driving profile is in the warm up state. This is where you produce your insolubles. These load the filter. If you're doing 15k a year, you're not in a high % of fuel enrichment.

These are general rules. There may be people who only do 50 mile trips once a week. There may be people who do 50 I mile trips a week. One filter will be loaded to a much higher level ..and probably endure moisture and fuel insult .the other will not.

So, it's basically (loosely stated) that the life of a filter is more or less dictated by the ratio of fuel enrichment miles vs. post fuel enrichment miles. In something like a taxi, with near 100% warmed service, the 3k-4k represents much longer run times that the odometer cannot account for. They're probably moving 10k worth of fuel through them.

Again, loosely stated (the 50 mile trip example showing how one can have the same result with vast differences in the particulars):

The further you are above 10k ..the "every other" or one year filter change is easier to figure.

The further below 10k, the more sensible it is to do the filter every OCI.

Again, it depends on the particulars. Someone devoid of children in the house may be doing under 10k ..but it's all the 5 day 15-20 mile commute with that car sitting over the weekend ..with maybe one 2 mile trip for groceries.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Pure One or Mobil 1 filters can handle 10,000 miles. Fair priced easy to get. That's what I'd use if I ran oil for 10,000 miles.
+1 And the Pure One is a real value with the sales at Amazon etc. and rebate. Pure One is a quality product with 99.9 % efficiency from a quality company with a responsive CS dept.
thumbsup2.gif

Running one right now on 3.0L Accord with QS syn that i will take to limit of OLM or 1 Year whichever comes first. Cut them open before, very solid quality filter.

They also have a silicone adbv which holds up longer than nitrile in lower end filters.

Nothing against Mobil 1, just cost about twice as much.

I only use NAPA Gold oil filters because I get a discount through NAPA. After reading a long term test 18,000 miles on Mobil 1 oil I am now actually thinking about 15,000 mile OCI...do you think the NAPA Gold filter will be alright for 15,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back