How many dinosaurs died to produce our oil

That's a lot of dinos

What I really think is oil is produced between the crust and the mantle. I find it funny that depleted oil fields are refilling naturally. Go across western Kansas and the 5 bbl a day pumpers that have produced for decades. Been doing this since I have been alive. IMHO YBMV

Last edited:
I always thought oil came from plant life.
It's like crossing a creek and stepping on a slippery (oily) rock.

No matter where it came from,
at least it was stored under ground waiting for mankind to find a use for it.
What if we had huge Lakes of crude oil on the Earths surface ?

What if we had huge Lakes of crude oil on the Earths surface ?
IMG_0321.jpg

Not huge, I suppose.

Dino oil is like worm hole, it is cool that's why we have them in all media. They are likely from algae back in the days anyways.

Petroleum crude was believed to have been formed from a combination of the diagenesis (the physical and chemical changes occurring during the conversion of sediment to sedimentary rock) of mainly ancient sea creatures such as diatoms, and crustal methane intrusion, converted under special conditions to a liquid.

The theory of oil formation is still in flux and there are many working hypotheses. Why oil is found so deep in the crust seems to contradict the diagenetic-sedimentary theory of crude formation.

it could be that crude is really not a "fossil" fuel but an abiotic condensation reaction of various hydrocarbon crustal gasses under conditions that have yet to be determined.

Historically, the reason for the diatom/plankton theory of oil formation was the identification of ancient fossil particulates mixed-in with the crude brought to the surface. But this only meant that the borehole drill cut through ancient limestones, shales, and sandstones that contained these fossilized remains.

Last edited:
All of the dinosaurs died but there is still that three story tall crustacean from the protozoic era that keeps askin me for tree fiddy!!!

We once lived in the middle of this prolific oil field for over 20 years, an oil field that produced over 100,000 barrels a day for the WW1 war effort.

What's amazing is, these wells produced oil from "oil sands" at depths of from 500 feet to 2700 feet, shallow in comparison to wells being drilled today. (Oil sands are actually very porous sandstone formations. There is no such thing as an isolated "pool" or "lake" of oil beneath the surface. Wikipedia's info is not entirely accurate and concentrates on one type of oil sand).

Many of the wells drilled in this oil field from 1916 to 1919 are still producing.

Last edited:
Our oil formed from the remains of marine plants and animals that lived millions of years ago.

Oil comes from solar energy. Plants are a very efficient solar panel.
Animals eat plants. And each other...
Add a couple of millions of years to the process and you can fill 'er up!
Maybe.

I worked for Mobil Oil in the flight department back in the 1980's and early 1990's. I flew with some of the best engineers and this discussion was a common one.

One fact that people tend to miss: The building blocks of the solar system consist of absolutely huge quantities of hydrocarbons. All of the planets have Methane in large quantities. Saturn's moon Titan has methane lakes, ice and clouds! Pluto's dunes are methane. Of course, hydrogen is the most common, and carbon dioxide is common too. So, it's no surprise that the Earth contains large quantities of methane.

The common belief is that biological mass combined with "Time, Heat and Pressure" created the hydrocarbon fuels we now have. The engineers above speculated that there may be additional factors that involve the building blocks of the solar system, including hydrogen and methane.

I was led to believe that coal was plant based and crude oil was from single celled sea organisms/plankton and algae.

Coal is from almost exclusively plant material. The precursor is supposed to be peat.

Petroleum was formed from a soup of various organisms, but it's assumed that it came from whatever ended up in prehistoric oceans. No doubt there were some times when oceans rise and then fell. I suppose it could have included dinosaur remains that ended up in that soup as oceans rose.

That's a lot of dinos

What I really think is oil is produced between the crust and the mantle. I find it funny that depleted oil fields are refilling naturally. Go across western Kansas and the 5 bbl a day pumpers that have produced for decades. Been doing this since I have been alive. IMHO YBMV

Doubt there's a whole lot of petroleum being "made". Obviously some, but isn't it supposed to be a really slow process? Could be possible that it's shifting?

However, somehow I'm thinking of "I drink your milkshake".

Around where I live there's a natural seepage of petroleum from San Francisco Bay. It gets really weird when there's a tanker or pipeline spill and there are claims of why there's an oil sheen in some other part of the bay.

Maybe.

I worked for Mobil Oil in the flight department back in the 1980's and early 1990's. I flew with some of the best engineers and this discussion was a common one.

One fact that people tend to miss: The building blocks of the solar system consist of absolutely huge quantities of hydrocarbons. All of the planets have Methane in large quantities. Saturn's moon Titan has methane lakes, ice and clouds! Pluto's dunes are methane. Of course, hydrogen is the most common, and carbon dioxide is common too. So, it's no surprise that the Earth contains large quantities of methane.

The common belief is that biological mass combined with "Time, Heat and Pressure" created the hydrocarbon fuels we now have. The engineers above speculated that there may be additional factors that involve the building blocks of the solar system, including hydrogen and methane.
Didn't know Pluto was once inhabited by cows.

Coal is from almost exclusively plant material. The precursor is supposed to be peat.
Interestingly, in coal, one can often find fossil remains or fossil imprints of the plant matter. It's also good to note that while coal contains hydrogen, it's hydrogen content is very low compared to hydrocarbon fuels. Coal and Hydrocarbon fuels are both energy dense sources of power, but vastly different.

It's often said that coal should not really be considered a hydrocarbon fuel, as coal is not only carbon and hydrogen, but also just about every element in existence. By comparison, methane is CH4.

Last edited:
Back