How many dinosaurs died to produce our oil

Oil is abundant in rocks deep below the surface. I heard or read somewhere that Russians drill over 30,000 feet deep and find plenty of oil.

Our oil formed from the remains of marine plants and animals that lived millions of years ago.

Oil comes from solar energy. Plants are a very efficient solar panel.
Animals eat plants. And each other...
Add a couple of millions of years to the process and you can fill 'er up!

Our oil formed from the remains of marine plants and animals that lived millions of years ago.

Oil comes from solar energy. Plants are a very efficient solar panel.
Animals eat plants. And each other...
Add a couple of millions of years to the process and you can fill 'er up!

Yes, it's primarily plant material. You can see the process in the coal seams actually.

1617248055681.jpg

SUBTERRANEAN William A. DiMichele in the Springfield Coal. The dark mass is a coal seam; the lighter shale above is interrupted by a fossil tree stump

I was led to believe that coal was plant based and crude oil was from single celled sea organisms/plankton and algae.

I was led to believe that coal was plant based and crude oil was from single celled sea organisms/plankton and algae.

"it's complicated"

Wikipedia said:
Upon heating, kerogen converts in part to liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons. Petroleum and natural gas form from kerogen.[1] Kerogen may be classified by its origin: lacustrine (e.g., algal), marine (e.g., planktonic), and terrestrial (e.g., pollen and spores).

Dinos couldn't take the "high temp, high shear" of that comet ramming into the Earth. :D

That's right. Wouldn't the vii shear and produce lots of heat with such a heavy impact from comets?

Also iirc from school years, dinosaurs did a lot of short and quick movements and not much of extended runs due to their size. i.e. fuel dilution. They should have been named Synsaurs and producing very heavy synthetic single-grade oil with no vii. Sounds like it was a bad design! No wonder they are gone.

Back