How many different types of coolant tester are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which type tester works for what type coolant? I've been using a tester that works for all glycol type coolants. It seems to work fine with VW G-11 and G-12.

I've only seen two types.. specific gravity (the ones with the floating balls) and refractory (you put a sample on the glass and look up at a light, this one also works with battery acid, but there's no way I'd do that). I'd say the specific gravity ones should work for all types, as long as you have the chart for your coolant. I don't know if the refractory on is glycol specific or not.
-bret

Yes, I was talking about measuring specific gravity. Not exactly with a floating ball type, but essentially something similar. I'll take a picture of the one I'm using. I was wondering in how far the correct scale calibration depends on the type of coolant. I was hoping all glycol coolants essentially had the same specific gravity, no matter whether or not they were silicate-free.

As for measuring acidity, ph test strips work just fine.

From what I understand, all ethylene glycols are the same for concentration testing purposes. Propylene Glycol requires a different one. Think I've got one somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back