How long would opened oil keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying a 20L pail of oil for my bike, but I probably would need a few years before I'd use it all. How long should I expect oil to keep once it's been opened?

Most full synthetics are good for 6-8 years if kept in a cool dry place. Just make sure and shake it good, the additives will settle to the bottom a year or so after opened.

20l is not really a lot, like 5 gal drum.
I'd buy it and use it in the next 5 years without concern.
I assume you can reseal the remainder, of course.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
20l is not really a lot, like 5 gal drum.
I'd buy it and use it in the next 5 years without concern.
I assume you can reseal the remainder, of course.

Is putting the lid back onto it considered "sealing" it? Lol.

Considering it has been in the ground for thousands of years, I do not think that you need to worry. Like was already said, just stir it up real good prior to using. Did you get a good deal on some oil in that size container and if so where did you buy it? That just might interest me.
Trolling.gif

I'm using about 1.5 quarts of M1 that's been opened (from a 5.1 gal) for four years. I forgot about it in my garage. I'm sure if sealed, the oil will outlast the container it's in.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Considering it has been in the ground for thousands of years, I do not think that you need to worry. Like was already said, just stir it up real good prior to using. Did you get a good deal on some oil in that size container and if so where did you buy it? That just might interest me.
Trolling.gif

It's Rotella 15W40 at Canadian Tire.

It's usually good for five years if stored in a warm spot; Two years if stored in a cold garage. The add pack will start to separate after that time. Shaking will do minimal once it comes out of solution

the worst problem would be condensation. and if it were an ester or have heavy ester additives it will actually pull moisture out of the air. case and point, poe refrigerant oil. you never leave it opened and its really best to use a new can of oil every time you install a refrigeration system...........at least thats what they say at school.

best check with the manufacturer

Think about oil is sitting in your sump for a how long? The most important thing is to keep containment's out. If you can keep water and dust from the oil it should be good for 5-7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back