How Long should an Exhaust Pipe last? some pic's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the Fords I have still have the original Exhaust!. When I have exhaust issues I deal with a local custom muffler place (not a chain). He welds things up better than new. The Y pipe on the Explorer is only available thru Walker, about $100. It is a PITA to remove too.

There were a few OEM ones on ebay a few years ago, but like $150 and not worth the effort.

The muffler place welded it up for $25, and it is 3 years and still holding. The Lexus (and other Toyotas) have [censored] Exhaust, maybe a bit better quality than Walker.

I have a Walker cat on it though, Had a nice hole in the OEM. I probably should have brought it to the welder.

Last edited:
I had to weld in a section of mild steel in an old Civic I maintain. Every time I change the oil, I spray some high temp exhaust paint on that area. It seems to have really slowed down the "rust through."

Depends on the fuel it uses, the climate its used in and the fuel it uses.

We had LDV Convoy and LDV400 Ambulances. All with the 3.5 V8 petrol lump.

After 10years on the road I saw one that needed a new exhaust, and that was just the rearbox so it might have been damaged as they stuck out side in front of the reae axle.

But consider my dad who did lots of stop start in a coastal part of Scotland.

And we lived on a hill overlooking the sea.

His exhausts would look pretty second hand after a couple of years.

And if he kept them for more than 3 years he often had to have parts replaced.

I have never replaced an exhaust on any diesel vehicle.

I have owned run around diesels that were 15years old on their original exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back