How Long should an Exhaust Pipe last? some pic's

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 years, maybe 3

You can get a system for your Ion with 304 stainless that will last forever
smile.gif

They have to use stainless steel rod when welding or it will fail like yours did at the weld.

I still got the original exhaust on my truck 24 years old and rock solid only had to replace is a few mounts that failed with age.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Our GM stuff comes factory with stainless and we have no issues up here in the salt belt. If we replace anything we either buy or build stainless...clamps and all. With exhaust..you get what you pay for and in the salt belt...fix it once...right.

Yes … had a 3” Walker Quiet Flow put on the GMC today and made sure it was stainless …

like oil you get what you pay for!!! depending on your environment + driving habits exhaust life varies a LOT!! a summary of already noted materials, for quite a while the OE's use 409 grade stainless, it corrodes outside but is still solid a long time, then theres cheap muffler mild steel usually aluminized, also some aftermarket replacement pipes + mufflers good about 3 yrs in my state rusty Pa but great in dry Arizona!! then there is 304 grade stainless that only discolors + will outlast any car, 10 years + 200,000 miles in salty pa on my 01 jetta at trade time + it was still great. there are MANY grades of stainless steels + unless the grade is noted its generally the good but cheaper 400 series being used. 304 grade is NOT magnetic + can be polished before heat cycling to rival chrome, but it costs more + polished is generally even more depending on the quality of the finish!!

The Walker exhaust on my I35 is 2 yrs old. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it here in the salt belt.

On my newer cars (2009 and up Honda) I don't know what they made the OEM exhaust out of but they almost never rust. They turn into a golden brown color with a very slight surface rust but never progress beyond that. This is even at the welds and hot parts like the cats. For the 09 for example when I look at the exhaust I feel like it's going to last another decade or more. This is in NYC with salted roads everywhere too.

I also religiously hose down the underside of the car as soon as the rain starts to wash the salt off the roads.

But on one of my older cars (an 01 Nissan) the exhaust has already been replaced multiple times due to complete rust through, detached mufflers, stuff like that. I recently used Walker parts on that one and what a mess, hasn't even been a year and it looks like the pictures above, heavy thick flaky rust (especially at the welds), looks like it's about to fall apart in days. A complete dumpster fire.

The aftermarket stuff is usually just aluminized steel but I suspect the OEM stuff is some kind of stainless or at least a steel with very good properties. I never really knew why welds rust faster than any other area, possibly the welding changes the material enough to reduce the corrosion resistance?

At lot of aftermarket exhausts are simply cheaply made... Walker I'm not surprised. I find Asian/Euro factory stuff last 10+ years easily (most of my 20+ MBs still rock factory exhausts). However OE replacement isn't cheap.

In the salt belt you are lucky to get 3 years out of an aftermarket. For some cars I try to at least buy the mid pipe and resonator OE because it is not much more than aftermarket leaving only the cheesy aftermarket muffler to fail and fail and fail again.
Walker SS mufflers are a joke, the pipes are cheap carbon steel and rot right off.

Originally Posted By: Trav
In the salt belt you are lucky to get 3 years out of an aftermarket. For some cars I try to at least buy the mid pipe and resonator OE because it is not much more than aftermarket leaving only the cheesy aftermarket muffler to fail and fail and fail again.
Walker SS mufflers are a joke, the pipes are cheap carbon steel and rot right off.

hey Trav, I do value your opinion on all your posts. but I had to add something about my encounter with OEM.. on this 96 civic I have (project civic car) honda wants $600-800 for the intermediate pipe!! Seriously!
crackmeup2.gif
shocked2.gif
The muffler? try around $600! um.. it's not even stainless steel! lol..

So for my money I spent $65 on walker's intermediate pipe and $85 on the muffler. But I do agree with you and everyone else, they continue to rust off at about a rate of every 3 years here in the rust belt.

I just figured that for those prices I could replace every 2.5 years and still be way ahead of the insanely expensive Honda prices.

I might just look into an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust as long as it's not a [censored] can exhaust!

@researcher
You can get the Magnaflow stainless catback on eBay for $450

Trubendz also offers a 304 catback for that generation Civic. You can get just the tubing, or with the resonator added. It will probably cost much less than the Magnaflow

Walker used to offer a Dynomax catback for the EK as well, and there was even a sound clip on their site. It was the best sounding Honda exhaust ever. Part number was 17301

Magnaflow uses 400/409 series stainless for it's complete lineup now (unless they have some separate mufflers that they claim are ALL 304?).

I will not put a catcon back system on my car unless it is TOTALLY (welds, clamps, flanges included) austenitic 304 stainless steel, which I have done with the CP-E Nexus on it currently.
(400 series stainless might not make it past 5 years here in salt soup country.
frown.gif
)

The strange thing is that when I asked that company's tech department about WHY a magnet stuck to the hanger rods they told me that the 304 stainless rod they use for the hangers actually becomes magnetic when 'worked' or bent at some of the sharp angles necessary for the systems to be installed.

I DO find this hard to believe, but have heard stranger things in my 63 years on this globe.
ANY advanced metallurgists on here?

A strong magnet will stick to 304. You have to go u to 316 for truly non magnetic. I've had a 304 after market on on my Gen Coupe for 6 years now. A bit discolored but no rust.

My OE is still on the Accent at 157k miles and it's the winter car so sees plenty of salt. Only thing looking bad on it is a flange that is quite rusty but not the pipe.

That's a lot of wood for a pipe, I just got a VW mid pipe resonator for under $140. Some cars cost a lot some not so much, it depends on the make year and model that's why I said I try to get one but not for 800 bucks and for a Honda at that.
lol.gif

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products...BSABEgL7JfD_BwE

hey trav! I agree that for $140 and it'll last a long time the VW oem was a smart move! I would do the same for my scion tc, no doubt about it. But then again things are more reasonable in price with toyota/scion!
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
@researcher
You can get the Magnaflow stainless catback on eBay for $450

Trubendz also offers a 304 catback for that generation Civic. You can get just the tubing, or with the resonator added. It will probably cost much less than the Magnaflow

Walker used to offer a Dynomax catback for the EK as well, and there was even a sound clip on their site. It was the best sounding Honda exhaust ever. Part number was 17301

hey slacktide!! Thank you VERY MUCH for that company Trubendz! That's exactly what I was looking for! I have the non-EX exhaust system. (cat part of exhaust manifold not separated, like the upper level EX) So it's been difficult to find what you just posted!
thumbsup2.gif

I did check out magnaflow and looks like they don't make anything for my car in terms of an exhaust system.. just the cat/exhaust manifold. but all I wanted was the intermediate pipe, and awesome you provided that. I will definitely be looking into them more (trubendz).

Check this company out for cats, hangers, clamps, adapter, flex pipe repair, etc. They have nice Torco band clamps in SS that work much better than any saddle clamp. I buy a lot of stuff from them, you can get the part # and ebay search for it also.
IMO exhaust saddle and worm style hose clamps need to disappear from the market they are the most horrible things ever foisted on the repair world.

http://www.bearriverconverters.com/Images/Website/brc_catalog.pdf

To use a band clamp properly you need to cut 2 slits 180 degrees apart slightly shorter than the width of the clamp, clean both pipes with a bit of sandpaper and file the edges of both so they fit smoothly together.
Put a little muffler/pipe cement on the inside pipe near the end of the pipe and put them together, slide the band clamp up to about 1/4" before the end of the pipe adjust the pipe for best fit and tighten it.

It will be a tight as a drum connection that comes apart easily next time, just a few taps with a hammer will crack the cement and a slight twist of the pipe will break it free. There is no compression damage to either pipe so they come apart easily.

Yale MC16 also sold under the dynomax name, any parts store has this. When use on joints its good stuff but people try it for holes and rot out and it doesn't work for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Yale-MC16-Muffler...KKHFWH42VGF80PS

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MUFFLER-CEMEN...13=&veh=sem

So True! I have found the same results, Walker pipes and mufflers will last about 2-3 years in the salt belt, OEM last 15+ years for me.. That said Auto Zone does (or at least did) give you a lifetime warranty on the Walker components. But what good is that when you have to change out you exhaust system that often, and think of this: It does not fail at a good time, the pipe literately just and broke off while driving, much like the OP pictures and the exhaust was just hanging. For that vehicle im going to stick with, but the next time im going to consider the OEM route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back