How long does it take to change your oil? Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually takes me 50 minutes or so to change oil and filter for my wifes's Corolla. This includes cleaning up the mess. To change the oil for my integra will take an hour and 15 minutes because I need to put the car on jack stands and the filter is much harder to reach.

20 minutes at most in my 94 Corolla including everything. I can do a spark plug change in that time as well since I've got the process down pat.

Some cars I do it in about 10 minutes, some 30 minutes. My rule for draining is to let it go until the stream goes to just drips. Usually, I crank the engine after the filter is off and it spits out some dirty oil. That adds 30 seconds.

30 minutes to 1 hour depending on if my kids are helping me or I do it by myself. My most recent car purchase has the plug and filter so close together I can unscrew the drain plug and unscrew the filter one right after the other and let both drip dry at once. I use car ramps for all 3 of mine. My 2 front wheel drive cars take 45 minutes because the filter is in a separate location from the drain plug and the oil usually runs across the subframe.

I never timed myself. I usually reserve a couple hour block of time and check lots of stuff while I'm at it. I let the pan & filter stud drip for a long time. When filling I also let the oil bottles or jugs drip for a long time. I enjoy it and don't get in a rush.

If pressed I bet I could do my truck pretty darn quick - no jacks or ramps needed. A little longer for the Accord with its almost zero ground clearance.

It's about 20 minutes for the Park Avenue. Most of the time is spent in allowing it to drain. There is the adding of the oil and I usually take the first bottle pretty slow, then, when it's done I leave it in the oil fill and take my knife and cut around the bottom of the oil container (plastic..it's now upside down)on 3 sides, peel it back, latch the cut open piece to the car (as in propped), and use it as a funnel for the rest of the oil containers. Keeps spilling to a minimum, and alway a clean oil fill funnel, as I now just throw away the makeshift funnel with the rest of the containers.

15-20 mins on the Corolla.

20 mins on the truck(2000 Silverado) (did it yesterday)

On the Vue, about 35 mins.

Pt Cruiser is about 30 mins.

Sisters 03 Taurus about 30 mins.

All above incl cleaning up and prefilling the oil filter.

All have Sure Drains.
cheers.gif

Worst is the 1993 Exploder. About 1 1/2 hours (filter is tough)

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

15-30 minutes. The reason for the variance is due to my perputual over tightening of the oil filter combined with it's location and small size!!! It has taken me an hour before to get a filter off. This is usualy when the vechile is new and trying to figure out the best way to get at the filter. The factor robot that over tightens the filter on Toyota's engines must be nick-named Popeye!!!

The worst vechile I ever owned for hard to get to filter was a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7V8. It had this little circular cut out in the plastic splash shield that you had to remove to get to the filter. I have the arms of a lumber jack or better yet like Paul Tuttle SR. So this meant that I had to s**** and cut my arm up on cheap plast just to get my fingers on the filter. I ended up useing a much longer then stock filter to make it easier for me to reach. I am sure that the 6'2" 105lb engineer that designed that littlecut out thought that an opening slightly larger then a can of soda was more then enough!

My Mothers Tundra is a pain as well. I well like a tunel rat from vietnam. I have to darn near jump head first into the engine compartment and my feet are not usualy touching the ground. My Dad who is about 1 foot shorter then me has to use a kitchen step stool and has to also almost jump into the engine compartment. I will say this though they made it so easy to drain the transmission fluid that I can almost over look the oil filter.

The easiest filter I have seen to date on a Toyota to change is on the new 4x4 Tacoma's with the new V6. The filter is almost level with the top of the radiator and is inbetween the rad and the engine's heads on a nice little bracket. You can pop the hood and get it off in less then 60 sec.!!

[ August 20, 2006, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

15-20 minutes as long as the oil was good and hot so it drained out fast, and let it go to a drip. As for my buddies..LOL...their oil filters are in the most horrible location. you need full body armor to get it off.

About 40 min. but once I get that Amsoil Ea oil filter on and the Fumoto drain valve, I'm looking at 15 minutes.

25 minutes from jacking up the car to clean up. This will be quicker once I get some Rhino ramps, I hate using the jack unless it's absolutely necessary.

I used to spend up to 20 minutes struggling with the oil filter that I always put on too tight but now it takes 15 seconds, once I invested in a filter wrench from WM.

Everything I have is fairly easy access (although my 2.5's filter is mildly annoying). It can be as little as 10 minutes if I wanted to do it fast ..but I don't need to rush and I don't like cleaning up unnecessary spills.

Like others, I usually give the thing (which ever vehicle it is) a decent going over at the same time (belts, other fluid levels, etc.). I also have a greasing component to all of my jeeps. I think I have 8 or so fittings to grease. On my Caravan, it requires that the wheels come off (I really need to buy a couple of right angle zerks
mad.gif
)

The old Saturn can be done in about 30 minutes if I really hurry. Have to take the R/F wheel off to change the filter.

I've gone to ONLY using extended-drain capable filters for this reason alone. I figure I can change the oil 3x (up to 5000 miles each OCI) before I have to change the filter. MUCH easier.
smile.gif

The Vue V6 has actually taken LONGER to change. No wheels to take off, but the filter makes a mess when it's removed. And getting it removed without the EXACT tool (have yet to find that tool LOL) takes some doing as there's not much clearance for larger wrenches. Again, using an extended-drain capable filter makes life easier and a less messier.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by flatlandtacoma:
I never timed myself. I usually reserve a couple hour block of time and check lots of stuff while I'm at it. I let the pan & filter stud drip for a long time. When filling I also let the oil bottles or jugs drip for a long time. I enjoy it and don't get in a rush.

If pressed I bet I could do my truck pretty darn quick - no jacks or ramps needed. A little longer for the Accord with its almost zero ground clearance.

About my style. I always could do my truck without ramps. With the up top cartridge on the Cavalier, I can do it without ramps now too. Most of my time is spent peering at the CV boots, squirting silicone on everything that moves, poking here and there, etc.

My V-6 Tacoma takes about 10 minutes with the top mounted filter. Best vehichle I have ever owned for oil changes....no ramps. When it's fitted with the Fumoto valve, I can shave another 60 seconds off. Nascar, here I come.

Nothing beats a John Deere tractor for speedy oil changes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back