How long does it take to change your oil? Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 min old oil drain
5 min filter change
15 min clean mess
2 min recycle used oil in my neighbor driveway (just kidding)

An hour & half maybe a little less, and I certainly don't claim to be fast.
grin.gif
This includes:
*Parking in the right spot.
*Getting the ramps from the carport closet, place them.
*Drive up on the ramps- be sure to set the parking brake, pull hood release, and place rear chocks.
*Strategically place newspapers. No, I didn't always do this, but have for several years now.
grin.gif
Don't ask.
*Get drain pan, filter wrench(swivel handle strap), 3/8" drive ratchet w/18mm socket, fresh oil & new filter, paper towels
*Remove drain plug- when oil has slowed to thin stream/fast drip, remove filter. I can do this on my car without moving the drain pan.
*While all drains, get jug for used oil, funnel, spread a few more newspapers, and fill new oil filter.(Yeah, I know, but I usually do it anyway.
wink.gif
)Lube the filter gasket too.
*Clean oil filter mounting surface etc, screw on filter to larger of recommended specs.(If it says 2/3 to 3/4 turn, I go 3/4 turn. If 3/4 to 1 turn, 1 turn. Use wrench if needed).
*After car has drained for at least 15 minutes, drips have slowed to 1 every 2-3 sec or less, clean seating surface & plug & install plug. Use little 6" long Craftsman wratchet only, nothing longer. Aluminum oil pan was stripped once years ago by gas station "mechanic", wtill using single-oversize self-tapping plug.
*Go "up top" I pour in new oil. If adding any extras, like Auto-Rx, LC, etc, add them "in the middle"
*Put up everything. pour pan int jug,etc. Start & check for leaks, back off ramps, put up ramps & maybe creeper, done.

Quite a bit to save $10-$15 huh?
grin.gif
lol.gif
cheers.gif

You guys are super fast. I just don't see how it's possible for me to get the whole thing done in 10-15 mins time frame in my garage. It'll probably take that long just to do the prepration and cleaning up: You need to gather oil, filter, tools(rachet, sockets, extension bar, oil pan, creeper, light etc), put some newspaper and oil pan under the car. Then afterwards, you'll need to back the car out of garage, pour the oil into a container for recycling, throw away filter, bottles, wipe clean oil pan and may be garage floor you you spilled oil on it, wipe tools and put them away, wash you hands...

Once you formed a habit of changing oil, everything comes like a clockwork:

grab some tools, oil filter, and oil along the way before you approach the car. You then turn around to get a mat, an oil tray, gloves, paper towels.

Lean underneath the car, crack the drain bolt open and while waiting for the oil to drain, you then proceed to undoing the oil filter and replace it with a fresh new one (gasket lubed with fresh oil, and the filter is lightly pre-soaked with fresh motor oil). Tighten the filter per instructions and then you turn around to put the oil pan drain bolt back and tighten it.Engine must be at least warm/hot so as to facilitate the draining process (warm/hot oil drains faster).

Now, you crack open the motor oil jug and then start pouring it down the filler hole until you are pretty much at the "F" line. replace the filler cap and then start the engine to get the oil circulates (oil light shall go away in 5secs or less). Go back to the engine, pull the dipstick and top off with a bit of motor oil.

Now, just take everything out from the underneath of the car and dispose them properly ( I have some 20 gal bucket with caps to collect used motor oil and return them to recycle depot on a regular basis).

Honda Civic takes me approx 20 mins to service, while all others are 15 mins or less. I guess I got used to doing this chore over the past 2 decades... I can almost do it blindfolded..

quote:

Originally posted by den_s:
20 min old oil drain
5 min filter change
15 min clean mess
2 min recycle used oil in my neighbor driveway (just kidding)

Next time just go over in your neighbors yard, dig a small hole first and drive over the hole with your vehicle. Now the oil has some place to go and not run all over. Viola.. oil changed!
lol.gif

Just did my '05 Accord 4 cyl for the first time.. What a PITA.. The ?????? $$$$$$$ at Fearstone had the filter so tight I almost had a stroke getting it off.. I had to tighten it a bit more to break the seal so I could remove it.( my dear departed father taught me this trick.) The filter rotated a full 3 or 4 turns before it ever leaked a drop. Once that hurdle was cleared, it was pretty painless. Had a couple of minor spills and was totally done in about an hour.

30-40 min here. I change mine in the back yard on our concrete pad where it's level. I have to use homemade ramps to get into the back yard. Once there, I pop the hood, open the cap, pop the pan under, pull the plug and let her drain. After a few minutes, I pull the filter and let that drain for a few more. While everything is flowing, I check everything else under the hood and get the new oil ready to re-fill. I pre-load the filter and then install it after cleaning all the splash off the gasket surfaces and surrounding area. My truck is much worse because all the filter oil splashes on the suspension parts and it takes a while longer to clean it. I then clean the drain plug (just started putting a new crush washer on every (other) change) and plug her up. Then, very methodically, I fill her back up. I use 5 qt containers and give it to her real slow so I don't spill any of that precious fluid. Once I get to the almost full mark, I let her sit for a few and then check the stick. Slowly but surely, I get her right to the full level and close the cap. I run her for a few minutes and then let her sit before I check it again.

Call me crazy, but I love it!

Current vehicles:

1990 F150 - about 20 minutes, no ramps needed.

1998 Windstar and 1988 Olds 88 - About 30 minutes. Need ramps.

2006 Mazda3 2.3L - I've only done it once and it was about 1 1/2 hours. Worst vehicle I've ever done. You have to take off a bottom pan with 10 bolts and 2 plastic pins. The pins are essentially impossible to get off until you know the secret - and I don't like to read instructions. The filter is a cartrige type and a pain also. You have to drain the filter with a plug, and then unscrew the filter housing (plastic) without breaking it, and then replace the cartridge. Two o-rings to replace as well. I'm hoping to get it down to 45 minutes.

I write the sizes of drain plug wrenches on the underside of my hood as well as the actual refill oil quantiy required. Speeds things up for us old guys that can't remember from one change to the next!

It usually takes about 1 1/2 hours starting with preparation through cleaning up. I let the oil drain for at least 30 minutes.

quote:

Originally posted by Hermann:
Just did my '05 Accord 4 cyl for the first time.. What a PITA.. The ?????? $$$$$$$ at Fearstone had the filter so tight I almost had a stroke getting it off..

One of the advantages of changing your own is that you can make this job easy for next time. I've found that if you put a small amount of silicone grease on the gasket of a spin on filter it will come off much easier next time. Oil works too, but not quite as well. Leaving the filter on a long time can also make it difficult.

about 20 minutes on my Dodge Ram 4.7L. Changing the oil on this thing is a breeze. Plently of room to spare everywere. Most of that 20 minutes is to make sure most of the old oil drains out.

I can do it in 15 minutes but like to take longer:

-- to change into something grubby

-- to start draining when it's hot but then leave it to cool enough to touch the filter bare-handed

-- to get my money's worth out of my new oil bottles, leaving each upside-down in the valve cover a few minutes

-- to dump from my semi-secure funnel type pan to a really secure gallon jug; for flimsy milk jugs I let the oil cool more completely so it doesn't wreck the plastic... paranoid, I know, but if one of those failed, it'd be a sure mess...

-- to wipe down the engine cradle below the filter mount (saturn owners know what I'm talking about)

If it's midwinter snowy or otherwise foul weather, I skip many of these steps and get it done faster.

I waste no time gathering supplies as I have all I need handy. 90% of the time I change it when I get home from work so it's good and hot and I'm not wasting fuel on cold starts.

porsche Carera- 1 1/2 hours (not mine- i wish)It takes technical knowledge on these.

jetta 15 mins.

Unscrew drain plug (1 min)
Unsrew filter, fill new filter and lube seal of new filter (3 mins)
Let oil drip (6 minutes)
screw in plug (1 min)
fill w/ 5qts: (2 mins)
wait 2 mins before starting. Grand total: 14 mins

about 20 mins to a half-hour on my vehicles and my parents/brothers vehicles.

sometimes i'll get caught up in doing something else while it is draining, for instance i changed the oil in the lawn-mowers recently because they are their or i'll go putz with a different project or clean stuff/move stuff around and whatnot.

another thing, at work when i do oil changes it takes me roughly 15-20 minutes, that is checking most things under the hood, tire pressure, hoisting the vehicle up so i can walk around underneath (love that) and any kind of chassis grease.

Heck, it may take as long as 1/2 a day. I'm at home doing odds and ends anyway. It's not like it's NASCAR. If I was in a hurry I can pull a plug drain the oil change the filter, put the plug back in and fill it up with oil pretty quick. It's not rocket science.

Like sex, I had to practice a while on oil changes so the fun wouldn't be over so quick. I take about 40 minutes to an hour (on the oil change)which includes puttzing (sp?) around a bit and clean up.

A bit longer when I forget to install the drain plug before adding the five quarts of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back