How long do you find deck belts last?

I have a 23hp/46in Snapper rider. Deck belt broke tonight. Belt is only about 2.5 years old, 70hrs on it. Belt still looks new, but pulled apart. Was an OEM belt. Is that typical life? I'm a maint. freak, and all pulleys etc are mint. This is the first rider I have ever used so wasn't sure.

I have a 23hp/46in Snapper rider. Deck belt broke tonight. Belt is only about 2.5 years old, 70hrs on it. Belt still looks new, but pulled apart. Was an OEM belt. Is that typical life? I'm a maint. freak, and all pulleys etc are mint. This is the first rider I have ever used so wasn't sure.
My 1998 JD LX188 17HP 501V Kawasaki 48 inch deck has the original deck and drive belts as well as deck spindles and bearings. I don’t think either example is typical. I got lucky, you didn’t. ;)

Probably had one crack in your belt and that's where it broke. 2.5 years is terrible life for an OEM belt. Oil and grease on a belt will shorten its life a lot. I have over 12 year old OEM belts on a 24 HP 42" rider that is used hard mowing two acres every week, go figure. Get another OEM belt, not aftermarket. Many aftermarkets are junk.

have had the same belts on my JD for 8 years now ..a lot of up and down hill mowing and some rather tall grass at times and the belts are still going strong..stay with OEM if you can

Deck belt life? You got 2.5 years out of a belt. I wouldn’t be overly concerned. I’ve had them last one season to several seasons. Of course, I put at least 100 hours a season on my mower. Sticks, pine cones, acorns and other debris can get to your belts and cause minor damage to the belts. Your pulleys and idlers are in good shape is a positive. I always keep a spare on hand.
Don’t use automotive belts on mowers or other outdoor power equipment. They will not hold up.
OEM, Stens and Rotary are the best belts for your needs.

On my home deere 316 5+ years.

on the farm deere 316 one that gets beat and has more hours on it than a diesel semi... about 50-80 hours with oem yes there is something wrong.. it has a billion hours on it so I'm guessing it needs all new pulleys.
OTOH you can buy aftermarket belts for it for 6$ each and they last about 50 hours.

They recently had a sale and free shipping so I got 10 belts for $55. That is cheaper than 1 pulley.

The most expensive pulley I could buy 20 belts for the same price.. so you can guess I'm not planning on it at this time.

If the farm wasnt the shallow 46" and my home tractor deck the deep 50.. I'd just switch em.. 50 hours is probably 1.5 years mowing at home.

The only reason I have a 316 at home is to have a backup mowing tractor for the farm.. Well that and I wanted to upgrade to hydro from geared on my previous deere 212.

10 years 460 hours on belts, zero turn so they have a higher load percentage than tractors, if I am moving I am cutting.

single cylinder Koehler courage motor also. Never a hit of problem with it.

Definitely a manufacturing defect they last way longer then that.

im still on my original belts on my 2005 craftsman 400hrs.

I ran commercial ZTRs and walk behinds for 8 years, i had 1 belt stretch out so that the blades would not turn when they got in high grass. That was at around 1900 hours. Other than that I cannot remember any other belt problems.

I would replace the belt and take a really good look at the pulleys and make sure everything is lined up perfectly.

John Deere belts last a long time.
One spring, I installed the deck on the JD 316 and inadvertently set the main belt behind one of the belt protector/guides on the mule. That first mowing, I hit the PTO and BZZZZT{snap}.
The current belt is a JD and still looks very new.
When storing, if I don't take the deck off, I loosen the belt tension though I am not sure that really matters.

I have to mow under some gumball trees and I was chewing up belts until I took off the 2 outside pulley covers on the deck. I also started engaging the blades at no more than half throttle. Has been a couple years since I did all that and I haven't chewed up a deck or drive belt since.

Well for comparison I threw the deck belt on my mower last week at a year old and 18 hours... This might have been partly my fault as several months before I picked up some debris that locked up the deck so hard it stalled the 22HP Kohler right out. Unfortunately I needed a replacement ASAP and had to pay $60 for a belt. Will order a Stens True Blue belt to have as a spare...

My old Craftsman takes an odd size. I think it’s got a alignment issue with the pulleys because it eats belts about every third mow I just can’t figure out the issue.

My old Craftsman takes an odd size. I think it’s got a alignment issue with the pulleys because it eats belts about every third mow I just can’t figure out the issue.
V-belt guys my goto for cheapo belts. not bad quality either.. not the same as a 60$ deere belt but at 5.50 who complaining?

Got a JD L100 for free. Rebuilt the deck w/amazon cheap parts. Couldn't keep the deck belt on erratically when disengaging, same with a Tractor Supply belt.
I bit the bullet for a OEM JD belt after reading some praises on here and zero issues for 2 yrs now on that and no issues when disengaging at any engine speed.
Sometimes you get what you pay for.

The old mower had 20 years on the belts then the deck bearings went (1970’s Wards)

The NOS Wheelhorse (1999) my father got seems to tear through both belts very rapidly, usually a year to a year and a half if I take it to failure .

Most frustrating is the drive belt failing every year.

Now after about 4 years of use one of the deck bearings is failing, oddest sound ever and one row of blade doesn’t mow very well.

Very disappointing purchase since the thing (looked) brand new but is ass to keep running.

Back