How long can modern fuel sit for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tank in the Prelude is about 1/3 full from when I pulled the motor 9-10 months ago. I forgot to add stabilizer and am guessing it's too late at this point? The car won't run for another 1.5 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
The tank in the Prelude is about 1/3 full from when I pulled the motor 9-10 months ago. I forgot to add stabilizer and am guessing it's too late at this point? The car won't run for another 1.5 years.

If that fuel was E10( 10% ethanol )it is junk now! E10 can't sit for more than approx 6 months before really bad things happen such as the ethanol seperating, it grows a funky red algea, etc...

The gas is probably bad but. If you can't drain the tank, go to a Marine supply house and get something like water-zorb and add that to the tank and top it off. You can use a 5 gallon gas can if you're afraid to drive the car. Pour the water-zorb into the 5 gallon jug and then fill the jug with fresh gas. Pour that into the car and just bounce the car to circulate the gas mix. Start it up take it for a long ride. Once you're through that gas tank refill and replace the gas filter.

If you feel you can drive the car add the water-zorb at the gas station. I'm thinking you still have enough life left to the gas to drive the car to the station, that is what I would do.

Now if you plan on storing that car, you must run the current tank of gas out. On the next refill add the stabil and 1 qt of MMO to the fresh gas. Take the car for about a 45 minute run and then store it. Make sure the engine oil and filter are new too.

AD

I would top off the gas tank with fresh gas with a bottle of redline fuel injector cleaner. drive daily and keep topping off your tank with fresh gas everyday. maybe it will dilute that bad gas enough?

There's no question of driving it anywhere. No engine in the car, won't be for another 1.5 years. The fuel is probably done just through moisture since the fuel rail feed has been open all this time.

So my only options are:

1. Run the fuel pump and drain it through the fuel rail feed that's just sitting open in the bay. I'd prefer this option, but would the fuel lines would get mucked up doing this? Maybe add the Water-zorb and then run the pump.

2. Less desirable option: drain the tank. Would this still leave stuff at the bottom?

Also, does the tank need to be filled up for storage?

Ouch, I don't think there is an easy solution to your unique situation.

If your methods leave a small amount (1/2" deep +/-) of gas at the bottom for 1.5 years, it will turn to goo.

An empty steel tank in the temperature/humidity fluctuations of Chicago might result in condensation and rust. Could it be fogged somehow?

Maybe remove the tank, drain, and store in a controlled environment. Or,

The only thing I can think of is to get the tank nearly empty by siphoning. Then, fill it mostly full with stabilized fresh fuel to eliminate moisture condensation and oxidation. Then siphon/drain/refill once or twice over the next 18 months.

Be REAL careful not to blow yourself up! I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Google "long term car storage" for other issues to consider.

RE your original title, I read (but cannot now find) a good article at the Chevron site that tried to dispell the E-10 "myths" about reduced storage time. In a nutshell, it said that todays gas is even "better" refined than in the past and that PROPERLY stored fuel SHOULD be able to last 12 months. Just an opinion.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Ouch, I don't think there is an easy solution to your unique situation.

If your methods leave a small amount (1/2" deep +/-) of gas at the bottom for 1.5 years, it will turn to goo.

An empty steel tank in the temperature/humidity fluctuations of Chicago might result in condensation and rust. Could it be fogged somehow?

Maybe remove the tank, drain, and store in a controlled environment. Or,

The only thing I can think of is to get the tank nearly empty by siphoning. Then, fill it mostly full with stabilized fresh fuel to eliminate moisture condensation and oxidation. Then siphon/drain/refill once or twice over the next 18 months.

Be REAL careful not to blow yourself up! I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Google "long term car storage" for other issues to consider.

RE your original title, I read (but cannot now find) a good article at the Chevron site that tried to dispell the E-10 "myths" about reduced storage time. In a nutshell, it said that todays gas is even "better" refined than in the past and that PROPERLY stored fuel SHOULD be able to last 12 months. Just an opinion.

It is no myth about the problems associated with storing fuels with ethanol. Far from a myth.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

I've started my car that nobody had driven during my absence for over two years without issues. I just needed a new battery.

That's tough for me. Hard to start car that doesn't have an engine in it. And that's not a solution for aging fuel. In fact, it probably does more harm than good because of condensation from just idling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back