How long before 5W-20 will be the most common recommendation for new vehicles in NA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Yeah, well that "made by Castrol NA BMW 5-30 synthetic" gave me the same experience was the Australian SLX 0-30 users. A gummed-up engine.

What does BMW really use in the fatherland? Castrol R 10-60 in M3/M5 engines and the one I have...."Made in Germany (Munich) BMW 0W-40...NOT the 5-30 used by NA dealers. I'm on my first interval...stay tuned.

Dr T:

Sorry to hear about your motor. I suppose as long as we make it through the warranty, the car maker could care less.

Indeed, unless you leave a thick James Bond blue smokescreen behind you, the dealer will claim "it's normal oil consumption."

How is the 0W-40 working out so far? Oil consumption down?

I know when towing +8,000 lbs in my GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 litre V8, running Mobil 1 15W-50 over +10,000km had ZERO oil consumption. Motor was quiet too.

This was in summer of 2001 and I hit VERY high temps in southern Utah and Nevada. So had the A/C on Max.

Maybe if I used the pickup as a stop-n-go daily driver, there might be some "gain" to using a 5W-30 or 5W-20. Though I doubt it. I want my motor to last forever.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
FWIW my 1984 Ford F-150 with 302 V8 still runs strong and has 528,000km on it. It ran it's whole life on Mobil Delvac 1 "tractor oil."
Hhmmmm . I guess I'm a bit lost in the time line of the Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetic that you have used since new " 1984 "....... I did not think they made it in 1984 or 1994 for that matter .

I learn something every day here at BITOG
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
FWIW my 1984 Ford F-150 with 302 V8 still runs strong and has 528,000km on it. It ran it's whole life on Mobil Delvac 1 "tractor oil."
Hhmmmm . I guess I'm a bit lost in the time line of the Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetic that you have used since new " 1984 "....... I did not think they made it in 1984 or 1994 for that matter .

I learn something every day here at BITOG
wink.gif
Motorbike:

Here we go again.

When I was a kid, one of my Uncles was a mechanic for the local School Board. They took part in a Mobil field trial running Mobil Delvac 1, in 1978.

I have a dusty box full of old oil product brochures. My Esso Lubricant Products catalog from 1981 mentions Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40:

"In many parts of Canada, its low temperature properties alone make it worth the extra cost."

Of course, you should contact EM at 1-800-662-4525 to verify with them exactly when Delvac 1 came out.

I can understand that most folks have never heard of this "tractor oil" so they think it was introduced when BITOG started up.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back