How long after a diesel OC does the oil turn dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 7.3 powerstroke will stay quite clear for the 1k and light brown to about 4k. I always change it for time before it has a chance to get jet black so I don't know at what mileage that would occur. When I first bought this truck used, the oil would get black fairly quickly. It took a series of about four 2.5k oil change intervals to show the results I mentioned.

I had a 2008 Ford Mondeo that I removed the EGR on, used top tier fuels and it was only used for long journeys (minimum of 2 hours a day). I used semi-synthetic Ford oil meeting 913B and changed it every 3k and it always stayed clear for 1000miles and slowly turned to a medium brown over the last 2k.

My 2015 Focus 1.5TDCi after that with a fully operational DPF & EGR used to turn the oil black as soon as you turned the key.

My 2015 FORD SD 6.7L oil was black right away. After severely reducing vehicle weight my oil stays generally clear through 8000 miles. I change oil based on OA results using Rotella T6.

the oil turns black in my diesel tractor after the first 10 minutes of use it after a oil change it is a massey ferguson 1010H.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Same for the old Mercedes diesels I had. The oil darkened very quickly after a change.
The oil would drain out jet black, darker than anything you'd ever see with a gasser and also had a distinctive scent.

Yeah...in my old 240D, it was dark by the first fill-up after the change, which would be when I checked it next. So, what, 250 miles?

I've only ever met one diesel engine in 50 years that did not turn the oil black as you were reaching for the starter button ... That was a big cam Cummins 400 and the oil stayed golden for months. I never new why...

All the other trucks in the yard (and tractors, and fork lifts, etc.) were coal black in 1/2 hour.

A lot of this may depend on how often the oil is changed and how dirty it was when you changed it. If as as experiment, you changed the oil, drive a couple of miles, change it again. I'm guessing the oil will look cleaner a lot longer even on newer models. Anybody here buy a late model diesel brand new? Did you check the oil at say 500 miles, 1000 miles or 2000 miles? What did it look like?

We get them in for a 1500km check, just a shake down, check all levels, lights, wheel torque etc, stuff that may have been missed on a PD. The oil is black, but you can see through it, it's not really black.

Hi,
atikovi - it is likely to turn black almost immediately as others have indicated. This depends on a number of things including how much residual lubricant remained inside the engine after the OC

If you are concerned I suggest that you learn how to do a blotter test to better understand the mystery of it all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back