How hot should the ATF Pan get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
currently have a toyota avensis with 210,000km on the clock. ATF was flushed at 100,000km. Then another drain and fill done at 50,000km with Genuine T4 fluid.
However recently, I noticed that the transmission pan was getting rather hot. Is this normal? Or would I be better off getting it flushed out and refill with new ATF?
Gear shifts are smooth and tranny still appear to be going strong.

It'll ne hot enough that you can't hold your finger on it for more than a quick touch without burning it. It can also depend on how close the exhaust is to the trans itself. But yes, transmissions get very hot. If you think it's running too hot check your fluid every other day or so. If the trans is running hotter than it should it''l burn the fluid pretty quickly.

You could look into installing an "external transmission cooler" with a remote spin on filter.
I mounted a cooler, tube and fin, in front of the radiator and the fluid runs much cooler. Next step is to install a spin-on filter mount with a filter before the fluid gets to the cooler.

IMO......Heat destroy's automatic transmissions.

Get an IR gun and take the temperature. You'll get your money's worth out of the gun because you can take the temperature of lots of stuff including your dog. What might be as important as the current temperature of something is the change in temperature over time for various parts of your vehicle.

You can create a spreadsheet and maybe we can have a new forum listing called "Bob is the temperature guy". Members can take the temperature of various parts of their vehicle and can compare notes while building a database. This would be especially valuable if these readings lead up to a failure.

Temperature is an important factor and it's possible that changes in temperatures can predict problems before damage occurs. The rate of change and/or the acceleration of the rate of change might actually, with enough historical data, predict the mean time for a failure to occur and help to predict failure details. We could call it "statistical maintenance control" and create a whole new maintenance discipline. People from all over the world could log on to take advantage of this ever growing and vast source of knowledge and data to reduce maintenance costs and downtime while saving the planet.

The temperature of your A/T can impact the transmission life. Stop and go driving can raise the fluid temp as well as high stress from towing. There is a chart at LubeGard that can give you more information on the need of adding a secondary oil cooler based upon your application. If your sump is running 180-200, you should be fine without any worries.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Get an IR gun and take the temperature. You'll get your money's worth out of the gun because you can take the temperature of lots of stuff including your dog. What might be as important as the current temperature of something is the change in temperature over time for various parts of your vehicle.

You can create a spreadsheet and maybe we can have a new forum listing called "Bob is the temperature guy". Members can take the temperature of various parts of their vehicle and can compare notes while building a database. This would be especially valuable if these readings lead up to a failure.

Temperature is an important factor and it's possible that changes in temperatures can predict problems before damage occurs. The rate of change and/or the acceleration of the rate of change might actually, with enough historical data, predict the mean time for a failure to occur and help to predict failure details. We could call it "statistical maintenance control" and create a whole new maintenance discipline. People from all over the world could log on to take advantage of this ever growing and vast source of knowledge and data to reduce maintenance costs and downtime while saving the planet.

+1

With a numerical temperature reading, experienced guys around the world could most often ,

provide you sharp judgement on equipments' state of mechanical conditions.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: Chris142
http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.jpg

This chart is for mineral ATF, like Dexron 3 or maybe Mercon 5, right?

I think synthetic fluids could withstand better the operation in temperatures of 200+F without such rapid wear.
the type of fluid does not matter much when dealing with temps. The rubber parts get hot and brittle at those temps and no longer seal correctly.

Normal temp would burn you quick.

If you want to upgrade, using a full synthetic could help. Pennrite, Nulon, ChiefOil... have full synthetic ATF that are T-IV compatible.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Without a numerical figure its all kind of pointless.

thumbsup2.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Fun#Post3707886

Last edited:

I think synthetic fluids could withstand better the operation in temperatures of 200+F without such rapid wear.

IMO...Mercon 5 is really a synthetic Dexron 3. From what I've read, Mercon/Dexron are one and the same. Mercon is the licensed name by Ford and Dexron is the licensed name by GM.
Valvoline Mercon 5, Havoline Mercon 5 and many others are synthetics.

Originally Posted By: mongo
IMO...Mercon 5 is really a synthetic Dexron 3. From what I've read, Mercon/Dexron are one and the same. Mercon is the licensed name by Ford and Dexron is the licensed name by GM.

Valvoline Mercon 5, Havoline Mercon 5 and many others contain mostly Group III oil and GroupII+ oils, so I would not call them synthetics.

the type of fluid does not matter much when dealing with temps. The rubber parts get hot and brittle at those temps and no longer seal correctly.

It matters, since oil oxidation is the culprit in most tranny failures. Bad lubrication is indeed worst than a leakeage.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: mongo

Valvoline Mercon 5, Havoline Mercon 5 and many others contain mostly Group III oil and GroupII+ oils, so I would not call them synthetics.

According to the Valvoline frequently asked questions.....http://www.valvoline.com/faq

Yes. Valvoline makes several synthetic ATFs. MaxLife® ATF, Valvoline ATF for MERCON® V* applications, ATF +4 and DEXRON® VI are all synthetic transmission fluids.

- See more at: http://www.valvoline.com/faq#sthash.8BA5owwa.dpuf

According to Valvoline....

Yep, I know what they say. Why don't they say, "Full Synthetic?"

They and many others are using the unscientific (but marketing accepted) definition of synthetic by saying that an oil with majority Group III base oils can be considered synthetic.

Synthesized oils are Group IV PAO and certain Group V oils.

ATF's such as the above with majority Group III base oils have very good performance.

But that's just me and yes I am a purist. And yes, I attend Purists' Anonymous three nights a week.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Agreed. Group III is a performance comparable to syn, that came from crude. Not impure anymore. So its pure, my dear purist.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

They and many others are using the unscientific (but marketing accepted) definition of synthetic by saying that an oil with majority Group III base oils can be considered synthetic.

Synthesized oils are Group IV PAO and certain Group V oils.

But that's just me and yes I am a purist. And yes, I attend Purists' Anonymous three nights a week.
cool.gif

That makes me a purist too then. Where's the meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back