How hot it too hot

My wife has a ‘18 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.0 turbo charged 4cyl. Last weekend we towed our 15’ aluminum boat for the first time. Total weight is maybe 1000lbs.

This is the first vehicle I’ve owned with an oil temp gauge. Air temp was 65 degrees and while towing over a local mountain pass at 4500’ the oil temp peaked at 225 degrees.

What are safe oil temperatures for PP 5w-30?

My wife has a ‘18 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.0 turbo charged 4cyl. Last weekend we towed our 15’ aluminum boat for the first time. Total weight is maybe 1000lbs.

This is the first vehicle I’ve owned with an oil temp gauge. Air temp was 65 degrees and while towing over a local mountain pass at 4500’ the oil temp peaked at 225 degrees.

What are safe oil temperatures for PP 5w-30?
Much higher than that. Normal oil operating temp on my 135i is 250 F.

If concerned about the heat run roll the windows down point the vents outside and run heat on full blast. will help cooling system a hair

But if the bulk oil reaches 150C, the oil in the bearings is significantly hotter, 30C difference is not uncommon.
And in that case if the oil viscosity is low to start with ... xW-20 at 150C sump temperature would be:

Danger Will Robinson.gif

Those temps are fine for towing. Having said that having 5W30 in the sump vs. 0W20 when towing imo is a good idea too.
27.gif
It gives an extra margin of protection. Many owners manuals advise/advised bumping up a grade when towing, working an engine hard or in extreme heat. As others mentioned I would keep an eye on the transmission fluid temps if the vehicle is equipped with an A/T.

5w-30 is the recommended viscosity from Mopar so that what I run.

As far as trans temp, it’ll hit 220-225 while at extended slow speed off roading. The fan will come on and it cools right down. Towing it usually runs about where the coolant temp is

Back