How hot is too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Grand Am 2.2 Echotech, during the really hot weather we are having in NC I have noticed my water temp gets up to 205 and stays there during city driving, on the highway it goes down to 195. I looked and both fans are running. Water level is normal. Is 205 too high?

Originally Posted By: rryam
I have a Grand Am 2.2 Echotech, during the really hot weather we are having in NC I have noticed my water temp gets up to 205 and stays there during city driving, on the highway it goes down to 195. I looked and both fans are running. Water level is normal. Is 205 too high?

Are the fans blowing while the car is in motion?

I checked while the car was parked in the driveway with the engine running and the fans are blowing.

205 is indeed normal,more efficient than 180. I'd not be too concerned especially this time of the year.

Yes, 205F is safe for a modern car running in stop-and-go traffic. Don't worry until the coolant temperature goes above 230F.

The 205 in city driving isn't bad, and 195 on the highway is ideal. Normal temps. Coolant maxes out around 230 (as A_Harman mentions).

Originally Posted By: rryam

No, 205 is fine. Many engines today are expected to run at 210. 215 to 220 in traffic on a hot day is not cause for alarm in most cases.

230... that's heading toward trouble.

That question reminded me of the old, air cooled VW bus / East Saint Louis joke. Goes something like:

180F> Too cool. Is the thermostat still there?

180-210F> Peachy

210-250F> Can live with it. Many buses w/type 4 engines get that hot under
loads in summer.

250-280F> Something is wrong & must be fixed. However viscosity of good
synthetic oil should be fine. If it's dark and I'm in East St. Louis -
I'll keep driving!

280F> Better stop - unless the oil pressure light is on, and just let the
engine run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back