hot weather, different oil? maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Kelton:
Of course I know that a summer in Florida is not much hotter than a summer in Manhatten. However, our hot weather lasts much longer...with people complaining about the heat as late as Thanksgiving. The idea here is that the car is enduring the heat much longer in the most southern areas of the lower 48.

He is the key, IMHO, it's hotter much longer in the deep South. When I entered my garage this morning at 7:30am it was already 88 degrees because of the sun. It'll be almost a 100 by mid-summer. You'll be running the AC in it for 8-9 months too, even in the dead of night during the summer months. My cars are at operating temperature in under a mile, currently. Add in some mountainous terrain, stop-n-go rush hour traffic, or a heavy right foot and I think you'll see much higher oil temperatures than a nice steady cruise in flatlander midwest states.

Look at Ford's spec for 5w20 oil. What's the major difference from regular dino? The Sequence IIIE tests for double the hours (128). In other words, running at extreme temperatures for double the amount of time.

quote:

Sorry, but I just have a hard time believing that BITOG's regular visitors are guilty of not changing their oil enough.

My point is change it more often in hot climates than you might otherwise.

To me it not a question of how hot it is here in Texas (or Florida) but the driving conditions. If you are sitting on LBJ when it is 110 degrees, your cooling system better be 100%. Your oil should be at its best. (Oil cools engines as well as lubricates) To say the engine temp stays constant because the water gauge does not move is disingenuous. To really understand this, you must have accurate water and oil temp gauges. They are related but not concurrent.
Cooling capacity is limited. We can hope the engineers designed extra capacity into the system. But bean counters are involved as well!!
The question of using 20 weight oils is moot as far as I am concerned, the data we have all seen points towards 20 weights doing a great job. Thinner oil flows better. Allowing greater lubrication. (In engines designed as such)
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back