How Full is Full?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
How much oil is included in the change you are buying? If the change is only good for 4 quarts and your capacity is 4.5, then 4 quarts is all your going to get. You'll have to make up the difference yourself.

I have a good dealer. And there's still a reason that I will never, EVER allow a dealer or quick lube shop to do an OC for me again. And the above would be it. I'd rather go a thousand over on my OCI, and be able to ensure that all the drainable old oil is out, and add PRECISELY the proper amount of fresh oil, than gamble on whether some overworked, underpaid, and non-respected teenager is going to do the job right. The oil level on all three of my cars is EXACTLY on the full line, not a mm above, nor below. Too many horror stories the other way. I'll just do it myself when I can.

Usually if an oil package includes 4 liters of oil, and the car takes more, they are not going to oil it up to 4 liters and get it out. They will fill to capacity and charge the difference. My shop has 6 liters included in the package so most cars are covered.

I could NEVER get away with underfilling as chain policy has us show the customer the oil level. People would rather have it over than under. Some people ask for an overfill because they know the engine burns oil and they are lazy to top up.

About the minor differences in oil capacities, I know the oil filter capacity makes a difference. For example an Fe292 Mopar looks like it holds more than a Champ Ph253, so even if I oil it to manufacturer specs it may show different on the dipstick. Same goes for a Honda PLMA02 compared to a Champ Ph2808, which is speced but is significantly larger.

Especially on the odd-dipsticked Nissans, it is hard to get an accurate dipstick reading unless you let the engine sit for a while.

Take into account rough calibrated bulk oil guns and bottles that are "quarts" instead of "liters" and the post-start-check oil top up is usually necessary. Unless you are experienced enough to know that this car takes a little more than what the computer specs.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
Originally Posted By: cmhj
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: cmhj
Full is full, bottom line!

I am pretty sure the full line is the top line and not the bottom line.

Didn't say that! shesh Full is full and that's the bottom line!!!!!

If who's on first, what's on second, and I don't know is on third, who's pitching???

I don't care is pitching?

Oil capacity on my cavalier is 4 quarts, that puts it smack between the add and full lines on the dipstick. Another 1/4 quart or so and its up to the full line. And I have extra in case I have to top it off before the next oil change. But the Valvoline Maxlife seems to have eliminated any oil burning, it hasn't dropped at all since I filled it up, and It's been 250 miles.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
How much oil is included in the change you are buying? If the change is only good for 4 quarts and your capacity is 4.5, then 4 quarts is all your going to get. You'll have to make up the difference yourself.

I have a good dealer. And there's still a reason that I will never, EVER allow a dealer or quick lube shop to do an OC for me again. And the above would be it. I'd rather go a thousand over on my OCI, and be able to ensure that all the drainable old oil is out, and add PRECISELY the proper amount of fresh oil, than gamble on whether some overworked, underpaid, and non-respected teenager is going to do the job right. The oil level on all three of my cars is EXACTLY on the full line, not a mm above, nor below. Too many horror stories the other way. I'll just do it myself when I can.

+1 Exactly What EKPOLK said!

There's something funky going on with my pickup then. It takes somewhere between 5 and 6 quarts, and it varies every time I change the oil. The last time, I had to use around 5.5-5.7 quarts to bring the oil up to the MAX line. I changed the oil recently and 6 quarts just hit slightly above the halfway mark between ADD and MAX.

All I know is the truck takes at least 5 quarts, so as long as I meet that, and I'm not above MAX (or below ADD), it's good to go.

Its possible that you got shorted a little on the fill of the bottles at the factory. I always look at the measure in the bottle because that happened to me once.

I seems that your second oil change was with properly filled bottles.

The Car manufacturers specs in the manual are acurate (too much leability if they are not)... unless of course the filter was mistakenly not changed... but a fluctuation like that has to be another variable.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I could NEVER get away with underfilling as chain policy has us show the customer the oil level. People would rather have it over than under. Some people ask for an overfill because they know the engine burns oil and they are lazy to top up.

Customers with this attitude are frightening. Some overfilling is probably tolerated, but excessive overfilling can cause frothing (aeration), so oil cannot be pumped to critical engine parts. Oil starvation = dead engine.

I've heard some people say overfilling causes excess pressure, although I'm skeptical. This would cause damaged seals, oil leaks, and splashing into the cylinders. Oil in the combustion chamber would ruin the catalytic converter.

Last edited:
Interesting topic, my truck is supposed to take 5 qts. but only actually takes 4-4.3 to reach the full mark. I put 4.5 in last time and it was over the full mark by about a 1/4 qt. I bought it used and wonder if it has sludge build up or just the wrong dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back