How far over the MAX oil fill mark...

...creates a problem? 2009 Jetta 2.5 engine. Just overfilled the oil - it is past the MAX mark and appears wet at the top section of the dipstick (Jetta owners know the section) and can't tell if it's any higher than that. Time for an oil extraction device? Thank you in advance!

If it is barely above the maximum line, I will not worry about it.

Besides, I am sure you do burn some oil before your next oil change, so it will drop to the normal level after a few thousand miles.

Just keep on driving.

Don't worry about it. Most manufacturers allow for an extra 1/2 quart of oil. The problem with overfilling is that oil gets up into the windage tray in the sump.

Don't worry about it. Most manufacturers allow for an extra 1/2 quart of oil. The problem with overfilling is that oil gets up into the windage tray in the sump.
Please tell us how you've arrived at that conclusion.

Please tell us how you've arrived at that conclusion.
Likely common sense. 16 oz of oil extra in a 5 or 6 quart system has never caused an issue that i am aware of . I managed a fleet of ford vans and many chevy and ford large cars. Half quart over was not uncommon. As was half quart under. And after 42 years i never saw any problem in my job.

capacity of the pan is 6 quarts, so its probably .5 quarts overfilled.

I wouldn't really worry about that much.
I am saying this because at that point as the OP stated on his dipstick, same thing happened to me, it was .5 quarts overfilled. I have owned this engine before. Left it in for the entire OCI , no problems. just dont go over two quarts or it will start burning

I am saying this because at that point as the OP stated on his dipstick, same thing happened to me, it was .5 quarts overfilled. I have owned this engine before. Left it in for the entire OCI , no problems. just dont go over two quarts or it will start burning
Where do you come up with these figures? Are you saying 1 quart overfilled is acceptable, or 1 1/2 quarts? Might oil not burn at 1- 1 1/2 quarts over, but might there be other issues?

Where do you come up with these figures? Are you saying 1 quart overfilled is acceptable, or 1 1/2 quarts? Might oil not burn at 1- 1 1/2 quarts over, but might there be other issues?
I have overfilled my 2.5 vw engine at two quarts because I had a five gallon 15w40 pail once, at two quarts over it started burning to the point there was light blue smoke coming out the exhaust, it stopped after one quart was burned, not sure why it started burning oil at 2 quarts over. I have overfilled .5 to 1 quart at most, and no complications. There shouldn't be any issues because its not that much oil, the pan holds 6 quarts. even at 6 quarts the whole pan isn't full, but almost is (I know this because I have dropped the pan due to gasket leaking, and filled it up with 6 quarts and there was still room for another quart).

I had an oil burner or three in my younger years that I would overfill by a quart as standard procedure. I never had any problem that resulted from it.
That said, none of them were VW's.

Reality is that people overfill by a quart or so quite frequently either by mistake or on purpose. And I have never ever heard of a single issue, let alone a failure as a result.

This will basically come down to what makes you feel comfortable rather than an identifiable issue.

Good luck!

I have overfilled my 2.5 vw engine at two quarts because I had a five gallon 15w40 pail once, at two quarts over it started burning to the point there was light blue smoke coming out the exhaust, it stopped after one quart was burned, not sure why it started burning oil at 2 quarts over. I have overfilled .5 to 1 quart at most, and no complications. There shouldn't be any issues because its not that much oil, the pan holds 6 quarts. even at 6 quarts the whole pan isn't full, but almost is (I know this because I have dropped the pan due to gasket leaking, and filled it up with 6 quarts and there was still room for another quart).
You're providing an example for a particular engine, and you presented it as a generalization. Had you said, "In my engine, just dont go over two quarts or it will start burning" then your comment would have some weight. Every engine is different and many behave differently in circumstances that are similar.

You're providing an example for a particular engine, and you presented it as a generalization. Had you said, "In my engine, just dont go over two quarts or it will start burning" then your comment would have some weight. Every engine is different and many behave differently in circumstances that are similar.
Yes, but in OP'S engine is the same as the one I had. I wouldn't think it would be much different, since the 2.5 didn't change much from mk5 to mk6

Back