Sigh... Dealer Oil Change 1 Qt of Over Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has a road trip coming up, 11 hr drive next week. Yesterday we chose to take advantage of those first two complimentary dealer oil changes that came with buying the new GMC in April, even though oil life monitor says 50%, thought might as well get fresh oil in for the long trip. Plus it was still on the factory fill at 3000 miles on the clock.

Dealership free oil change, What Could Go Wrong?

So this morning, I check the dipstick, car in garage (level floor). Oil is about 1 inch above the max hole. Dipstick is the common type: two holes with cross hatching in between, with the cross hatching and holes residing in an indented section of the dipstick. Well, the oil was past the max hole continuing up 1/2" past the top indent. I dipped, re-dipped, and wiped several times to confirm.

The service manager was courteous and they're sending someone to come pickup the car at her workplace take it back to the shop, correct the oil quantity, and bring it back to her workplace.

They stepped up and owned it, so we can't really complain, it's just that you hear these similar experiences people have and play it off as rare, then it happens to you.

How many engine options are there for the GMC? I bet the lube tech looked at the first line and went with that capacity.

Good ups on you for checking the work.

Good ups on the dealer for correcting a wrong.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
How many engine options are there for the GMC? I bet the lube tech looked at the first line and went with that capacity.

Good ups on you for checking the work.

Good ups on the dealer for correcting a wrong.

three engines: 1.5 liter gdi turbo, 2.0 liter gdi turbo, 1.6 liter turbo diesel

Dopes at the dealer. They did this to my wife's Subaru. The grease monkeys are totally out of it and could care less.

I had to get under the car and drain the extra qt. Pain!

They also charged her for the extra quart!

The VW dealer did OK on the 1.4 OC.

1.4L engine , 4L oil.

Last edited:
years ago, a subaru dealer put 4.5 qts into my brother's outback, but never drained the used oil.

the dealer bought the car back from him in a week after the engine failed. They thought he did it until he had them pull up the service ticket. Seeing that, they did did the right thing.

This has now happened to me twice on the van, also with the "complimentary" changes at the dealer. Same overfilled level every time. Capacity is 4.5 qts. My first thought was "Oh, they're lazy about partial bottles and just dump in 5 qts" but then I realized it's probably bulk delivery so that theory doesn't hold water.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Here we go again.....

What do you mean? - Never heard of folks on this site discussing mistakes made at dealers, independents and quick lube joints, and as a result are a DIY oil change family. Must be something new that is being discussed here.

Same thing happened to me 2013 Toyota Tacoma, took it in for the free oil changes and the dealer overfilled by a quart and a half . I just bought a whole bunch of oil filters and change them out till the level dropped, but I took it back for the next free oil change I told the service rep that what happened , he said I should have brought it back they would have fixed it. i said why would I want to bring it back and get another chance for you to screw it up again. I have never been back to the dealer for oil changes.
TOMB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Here we go again.....

What do you mean? - Never heard of folks on this site discussing mistakes made at dealers, independents and quick lube joints, and as a result are a DIY oil change family. Must be something new that is being discussed here.

hallstevenson is right. It's getting the choir together to sing the same old song.....and I mean old.

Last edited:
Kudo's to you for checking! Before I started performing my own oil changes I'd always check afterwards just to be sure. Usually found dealership didn't rotate tires which was on their check list.

Dealerships don't usually recalibrate their oil guns. Also, flat rate techs see oil changes or things like that as busy work - more so the lube techs.

Originally Posted by nthach
Dealerships don't usually recalibrate their oil guns. Also, flat rate techs see oil changes or things like that as busy work - more so the lube techs.
You just hit on the main issue-dealers see oil changes as a "loss leader" to get you into the dealership, maybe you'll wander around the showroom & buy a new one? Therefore, the poorest trained, bottom of the barrel (or FNG) techs wind up stuck in the Quick Lane or whatever, while the good techs are doing more challenging (better paying) work.

Seems like a big oversight on the dealership's part..... I mean, I get paying the entry-level techs to do the "quick lube" oil change jobs but when you have someone lacking in experience touching more customer's brand new vehicles, sometimes a couple of times per year, you'd better leave a darn (got to stay 'family friendly' and not refer to structures that hold back water) good impression on your customers.

My dealer overfilled one of my cars by 5 quarts- but it fixed a ring sealing problem so I'm not complaining.

Originally Posted by JLTD
You knew better....

Guilty as charged. Sacrificed precision for convenience.

Originally Posted by CKN
Here we go again.....

hallstevenson is right. It's getting the choir together to sing the same old song.....and I mean old.

Guess what?.... The auto service and repair industry has brought this upon themselves and have done ZERO to change this situation in many decades!
They deserve the verbal thrashing they get.
31.gif

I'm waiting for the industry to step up and at least make a reasonable attempt to police themselves.....but they are too busy making excuses as they always have.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by CKN
Here we go again.....

Guess what?.... The auto service and repair industry has brought this upon themselves and have done ZERO to change this situation in many decades!
They deserve the verbal thrashing they get.
31.gif

I'm waiting for the industry to step up and at least make a reasonable attempt to police themselves.....but they are too busy making excuses as they always have.
spankme2.gif

Dude-
I have dozens of oil changes over several different makes of cars with several dealerships. Several of those were on a cross-country trip. So 4 or 5 dealers spread around the country. NEVER AN ISSUE.

Yet-when some guy on here reads about how easy it is to change transmission, fluids, ball joints, etc., and he screws up that's OK-because he shouldn't have started the job in the first place.

Give me a break.....start the choir singing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back