Sigh... Dealer Oil Change 1 Qt of Over Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Yet-when some guy on here reads about how easy it is to change transmission, fluids, ball joints, etc., and he screws up that's OK-because he shouldn't have started the job in the first place.

Give me a break.....start the choir singing..

Whaaaatttttt ? No member here has ever made a mistake when doing their own automotive work ! How dare you suggest anything different !
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CKN

I have dozens of oil changes over several different makes of cars with several dealerships. Several of those were on a cross-country trip. So 4 or 5 dealers spread around the country. NEVER AN ISSUE.

Anecdotes don't count. It's pretty clear that you constantly defend this industry.

DIYs are not changing their fluids for a living, but the "pros" at shop do. So indeed at least there should be a system of double checking to make sure everything is correct. Sure mistakes will happen, but they happen way too often at the professional shops.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Sure mistakes will happen, but they happen way too often at the professional shops.
smirk2.gif

"too often" is vague. How often, as a percentage of the vehicles they do oil changes on, is a better number.

I am WAY too particular with my cars... I avoid ANY type of service unless it's something I just cannot do myself.

And I certainly wouldn't have the offending dealer send a wanna-be race car driver out to pick up my car either.

It would be interesting to have a data logger to see how long your car was at wide open throttle or above 6000 rpm on the trip to the dealer.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Sure mistakes will happen, but they happen way too often at the professional shops.
smirk2.gif

"too often" is vague. How often, as a percentage of the vehicles they do oil changes on, is a better number.

How would we know as the "industry" certainly doesn't want the public to know this. I wonder why?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
smirk2.gif

How would we know as the "industry" certainly doesn't want the public to know this. I wonder why?
crazy2.gif

If none of the guys on here belive in going anywhere near dealers-it doesn't matter much does it?
banana2.gif

Sorry to hear what happened. First oil change on my 2017 Elantra dealership overfilled by 1/2 quart. With drive time would be over and hour to return and have them fix it. That is what service manager offered. Now I knew car would probably be OK, but just did not set right with me. Service manager said oil gun was probably not calibrated. After changing it myself I found 4 quarts put it at full. The 4.23 quarts from owner's manual, oil gun calibration off, or not fully drained probably was the issue. When I rush I make more mistakes. They do too. I just have more control over taking my time and paying attention to details.

I had free oil changes on my last 2 jeeps..(from the dealer)

the 2017 cherokee in no particular order from my 2 oil changes:

they overfilled the oil and stripped the screw on the airbox with 3000 miles on vehicle(used an impact driver)
they broke the cabin air filter cover checking it.. after I asked them not to do/touch anything except the oil change.
They lowered my tire air pressure from 36(door sticker 36) to 32 psi(non-trailhawk spec)
They charged me for the upgraded mopar oil filter and still used the jobber filter.
They also managed to get oil all over under the hood somehow...
They extremely over-tightened the cartridge oil filter cap.. so bad they were cracking jokes about it being extremely tight
(the joking went away after I informed them they did the previous oil change)
They were going to rotate my tires and charge me (its free with jeep wave)
That was on the first 2 oil changes... I did the rest myself..

Being uh.. frugal(stupid) I decided to try them again 1.5 years later with my next jeep.(free = cheaper than I can change oil)
The 2019 jeep cherokee:

Argued with me about what oil goes in the 2.0T-GDI engine(first year of engine)
Got my manual out and had to deal with surly manager.. he acceded to my request after showing him the owners manual.
Oil monkey proceeds to put wrong oil in vehicle 5w30 semi-syn. (takes full syn 5w30 api sn+)
Call over manager again.. they proceed to do oil change again..
The oil they used didnt even meet the manufacturer spec of jeep ms-13340 or api SN+
it was servepro 5w30 full syn dexos. Api SN

Took Jeep home, changed the oil in my driveway with pennzoil platinum

NEVER WENT BACK.

I agree CKN...

A lot of complaining at times.

Will tell you all this... People in my profession jack things up too... And a bit more often than I would like to see. I know that a co worker of my step father's from the refinery was taken out of this world by being given morphine way too quickly IV... And I know of young lady was regularly given Lasix IV way too fast... Did not take her out of here but it sure made her feel way bad. Or even myself... Being given 1000 mg of IV prednisolone in a 50 ml bag... I turned lobster red and was shaking from that. Turned the machine off and unhooked myself from the iv machine. Told my fellow staff member that was way too strong a concentration. When I spoke to our lead pharmacist... She told me that should have been at least a 250 ml bag.. even potentially a 500 to 1000 ml bag.

Originally Posted by CKN
AC1DD said:
[

If none of the guys on here belive in going anywhere near dealers-it doesn't matter much does it?
banana2.gif

Most guys on here barely go near any repair or service shop, why? Because we know most of them are hacks and crooks or both.
Plenty of us would use a repair shop because so many jobs require special tools and or a lift, ect....but will never because we know nothing ever changes with the industry.

Yet the industry whines endlessly about how they are "unfairly judged". Now which are really the cry babies?
20.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
I (once again) submit that if complaints about the auto service industry's mistakes bother you, this is not the forum for you.

My laundry list of "anecdotes" is too long for me to fall on that sword. I have a few shops that are trustworthy. When I stray from them, the ratio of mistakes to success is very bad. Only some show up here. And yes, one of my experiences involves a dealer using the wrong oil, and then overfilling with the correct oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back