How easy/hard is it to return used motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live in an area where there was a yearly hazardous waste collection program. You had to wait all year to drop off stuff like paint, florescent light bulbs, engine oil etc since there was no centralized location to drop the items off year round. The line for the event was miles long and wrapped around multiple blocks. I saw a few people that got tired and drove off, pretty sure they just threw their hazmat into the garbage....
I think it was the same here. Once or twice a year.... And the line was just as you described.

Now we have a place that is open every Saturday, and there's never a line more than one or two cars. I recently got rid of a ton of old oil, lots of antifreeze, ATF, a couple batteries and various old cans of stuff from the basement. Best of all they even keep the containers, so I don't have to put them in with the regular garbage.

returned 2 gallons to my Farm & Fleet yesterday... Tech at the desk said he "didn't want it but he had to take it..." They also took the used FL-500 oil filter off my sons 2009 Jeep GC. I usually take mine to Walmart or the recycling center in town but happened to be at F&F yesterday. I believe most retailers that sell oil take used oil...

just my $0.02

Our local auto parts stores won’t take anymore because the company that used to take it went out of business.

In California, pretty much ALL car parts stores - AutoZone, O'Relley's, NAPA, PepBoys take in used motor oil AND used filters. The limit is 5 gallons. I maybe heard the tank is full excuse 3 times and it happened the last time I went but I was only dropping off filters and he was willing to take that. This time he said that the tank was full but they were emptying it currently and it would be available in about an hour. They do ask that you take your empty bottles off the property to dispose of and I just put them into the recycling container. You are supposed to fill out a line on a sheet at the front desk detailing your name, address, type of fluid and quantity. I usually ask them for some oil change stickers while there and they provide them for free.

Funny all this and here's me packing it up most of mine and sending it back to FCP Euro. 🤣🤣🤣

I grew up in a location known as “tank town” where most every petroleum company had a terminal for fuel storage tanks and dispensing racks for tanker trucks. The fuel came in via Colonial pipeline. An alarming group of local folks were diagnosed with cancer. It was discovered that petroleum products that weeped into the ground water caused the wells to have unacceptable levels of chemicals that caused the cancer. The point of this long winded diatribe is to hope that folks will be considerate of others that may still have wells and to not dump oil or anything for that matter in/on the ground. Yes it may be your land but the water under your land may be the source for someone’s water. Not everyone has water piped to their home from a municipal water treatment plant. Me included.
Water runoff into streams, creeks, rivers, and lakes is another concern. Killing wildlife is happening because of the same scenarios. I’m not a tree hugger but everyone can help these issues with a little effort. By the way….Colonial has recently settled another lawsuit for a massive spill in NC. Look it up….

In California, pretty much ALL car parts stores - AutoZone, O'Relley's, NAPA, PepBoys take in used motor oil AND used filters. The limit is 5 gallons. I maybe heard the tank is full excuse 3 times and it happened the last time I went but I was only dropping off filters and he was willing to take that. This time he said that the tank was full but they were emptying it currently and it would be available in about an hour. They do ask that you take your empty bottles off the property to dispose of and I just put them into the recycling container. You are supposed to fill out a line on a sheet at the front desk detailing your name, address, type of fluid and quantity. I usually ask them for some oil change stickers while there and they provide them for free.
Exactly this. There are at least 5 parts stores in my local area: O'Reilly, VatoZone, CarQuest, NAPA, Walmart, etc. I call first to be sure they are accepting used oil. 95% of the time they are, but once in a while their tank is full... I just try the next closest parts store or maybe try the same store the following week, typically with success.

😂 That's just laughable. What about your used oil filter, packaging that items come in, the old wiper blades, and so on ? Those the parts store's responsibility too ?
Is that laughable? No sir and that is absurd, well with the exception of the filter. I dispose of them at the parts house. Wiper blades? Come on chief.that is what is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back