How do you stiffen up a c channel frame?

I added a 3rd helper spring on the ramp for my trailer and today I noticed the frame where the helper springs are welded on are twisting the frame a tad. It pulls away from the wood deck about an 1/8" of an inch. Makes me wonder if I should box in the frame to stiffen it up a bit or is this not really an issue? It flexes back when I lift the ramp back up. I never paid attention to what it did before when it only had 2 springs. The gate was just a bit heavy so I added a 3rd coil spring and it's perfect now. The frame is a 4" c channel and the springs are the type that slide onto a solid steel bar like on the heavy duty ramps. The trailer is a 10k car hauler style trailer with a 5" c channel tongue welding to a 4" c channel flat bed but with expanded metal sides added on.

I added a 3rd helper spring on the ramp for my trailer and today I noticed the frame where the helper springs are welded on are twisting the frame a tad. It pulls away from the wood deck about an 1/8" of an inch. Makes me wonder if I should box in the frame to stiffen it up a bit or is this not really an issue? It flexes back when I lift the ramp back up. I never paid attention to what it did before when it only had 2 springs. The gate was just a bit heavy so I added a 3rd coil spring and it's perfect now. The frame is a 4" c channel and the springs are the type that slide onto a solid steel bar like on the heavy duty ramps. The trailer is a 10k car hauler style trailer with a 5" c channel tongue welding to a 4" c channel flat bed but with expanded metal sides added on.
I would stiffen it up eventually something could crack from repeated twisting. Picture of this trailer?

I'm only answering this based on the structure being a C-channel - weld in triangular gussets.

Need to see pics. But could you weld flat plates on each side of the channel? Will the added weight be an issue for axles? A lot of trailers axles are just enough to carry the trailer and load. A hundred pounds more steel may not be an issue, but it could be

What is that?
unless both my brain and Google are letting me down, I think He's referring to something like this:
valor-fitness-valor-fitness-rg-adj-adjustable-rig-crossmember-3_740x.jpg

with XMBR just being shorthand for Crossmember. I Could see the adjustability/sliding in-out being referred to as "Collared"....
I could also be Wayyy off base....

Need to see pics. But could you weld flat plates on each side of the channel? Will the added weight be an issue for axles? A lot of trailers axles are just enough to carry the trailer and load. A hundred pounds more steel may not be an issue, but it could be
That's the plan is to just close it off and make it a box frame instead of a c channel.

Do you have to box in the entire frame? Perhaps reinforcements at the spring attachment points will do?
I think it will just make the flexing move to a different area. I think just getting one 83" 4" wide 1/4" thick piece of flat bar welded onto the backside should do it.

I think it will just make the flexing move to a different area. I think just getting one 83" 4" wide 1/4" thick piece of flat bar welded onto the backside should do it.
That likely works if you are a little overloaded or your frame is weakened. (Depending on how overloaded you run)

Remember that up to 90% of your loads are were the axle/springs mount to the frame, the further away the less load

I personally don’t like edge welding because of potential rust and cracks down the road but it depends on the quality of your rails and if you run through winter salt
A boxed frame is indeed much stronger to loads along the length of the trailer but still can end up a parallelogram if your running way overloaded/ unbalanced/ off road.

Also remember your frame needs to bend to stay strong, so long as you aren’t way off base it “may” be ok or may be catestrophic

On HD dump trailers a suspension crossmember similar to what is shown is used , however it’s normally 4 separate pieces of C-Channel
2 in the rail covering and bolting too the suspension mounting points with 2 c-channels twinned in the middle cut to length, hammered in and bolted on the flanges to the outer c-channels

The hd stuff uses lots of grade 8/9 bolts to hold everything firm

Only you know how overloaded your running, The design of your trailer may not allow a crossmember in which case you gotta box
Itend to build things like a tank but I doubt your running 5 ton of gravel on a light duty trailer :0

What I find more amusing is how underbuilt some trailers are compared to others of the same load rating.

Sometimes gotta fix design errors, similar to the crappy trailer hitch ratings that don’t allow for real world occurrences like a flat tire.

Last edited:
What if I take a couple pieces of angle iron and weld them across the inside portion of the c channel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried uploading a pic but couldn't. I think the issue is it needs another hinge welded directly to the ramp like the the other hinges are. That way any pulling from the hinge will push against the ramp instead of just pulling away from the frame of the trailer.

Anything you add to increase the amount of material will increase rigidity. the further that material is from the neutral axis the better. You could weld another C channel onto the open face of the existing c channel. you could also weld flat strap on the top and bottom of the channel, that would increase the strength but only in bending. any off axis loads would still cause it to flex. you could also put square tubing vertically stacked at 6in spacing inside the channel this will increase rigidity, but only marginally since most of the material is near the central axis.

Back