How do you prevent aggravating freeze related problems?

So this weather system is entering my area of the US Midwest and I'm doing the things to make my life as easy (or as close to normal) as possible.
One of the winter wonderland challenges I have faced that I just don't have a good solution for is the freezing of my garage doors to the concrete slab.
I wipe the rubber seal as best as I can and hope it doesn't freeze while I'm in the house and snug and warm.
What are some practices BITOG community members use to keep the garage door from freezing to the floor slab?
What are some of your other Winter Wonderland challenges and your solutions to these?

So this weather system is entering my area of the US Midwest and I'm doing the things to make my life as easy (or as close to normal) as possible.
One of the winter wonderland challenges I have faced that I just don't have a good solution for is the freezing of my garage doors to the concrete slab.
I wipe the rubber seal as best as I can and hope it doesn't freeze while I'm in the house and snug and warm.
What are some practices BITOG community members use to keep the garage door from freezing to the floor slab?
What are some of your other Winter Wonderland challenges and your solutions to these?
I dont have that problem but why not wipe the rubber door seal down with something like Super Lube from Harbor Freight ?
Silicone Based, clean, heck its even food safe. this should prevent water from sticking to the rubber seal and freezing.
It also should last a while.

I'm in the same climate as you and I've never had the seal stick or freeze to the cement. Does it happen frequently with you ?

I'm in the same climate as you and I've never had the seal stick or freeze to the cement. Does it happen frequently with you ?
Yes, My garage doors face north. So that puts them in the shade this time of year and on the receiving side of blowing precipitation.

Don't forget about any drain or back flush etc pipes. Most people pay attention to supply water pipes.....self included. I kinda sorta thought my backflush pipeage for my softener and sulfur killer are not so subject to freezing and are in a protected spot. BUT below 20°F HIGHS for 5 days and lows in single digits froze that pup......maybe if it were briny water but the sulfur unit is pretty much just water from flushing the beads.

Absolutely froze my oysters off working the outdoor parts. Garage is relatively balmy though.

We put some commercial rock salt down at the local outdoor ice ring wheat we store equipment in a heated shed with a garage door. There are some that are better than others for not hurting concrete.

Seems like you have melting ice/snow from the cars running under the doors?

If so, keep that to a minimum, go out and try to clean away the runoff.
When the car is out, I use some snow on the car tracks in the garage and scrape the car droppings out. The snow absorbs the moisture.

If I expect a lot of drip down, I put a barrier of snow in the garage to block the water from hitting the garage door.

A colder garage is better than a warmer garage.
Previous house had a partially insulated garage = quite a bit of melting.
New house - no insulation, colder garage, cars stay frozen and less drip down.

I prefer a cold garage.

Back