How do you make money in a bear market?

One year ago I said not to panic, and not to time the market.

The BITOG consensus was “bear market”.

My wife (the brains in the operation) picked a few stocks and in April we bought.

Since late April last year, the market is up nearly 40%.

40% in a year is a phenomenal return. Those who stayed the course have done well. Those who panicked got fleeced.

Those who stayed the course have done well. Those who panicked got fleeced.
If your portfolio is not ready for changes in the market there is something wrong with your portfolio.
I didn't change anything, except buy some stock in a certain technology company that happens to build electric cars.
I got sick and tired of watching the gains pass me by...

I do have money in a double tax free CA Municipal Bonds fund, which is a hedge against inflation and bear markets.
But mainly it is the tax benefit that is attractive to me. Kinda like free money.

Regardless of market conditions, always make your money work for you.
"One year ago I said not to panic, and not to time the market." Sound advice; beautiful.

In the past month, I'm am up over 200% in a certain retail store that many thought dead.

I watch it like a hawk and will get out as soon as the chance presents itself. I've already turned some of the profits(the amount I started with plus some more) into what I'd consider "safe" investments-Agilent and Apple namely-but am holding for it to continue rising and have a safety stop in place to still allow me to take a decent profit on it should it decide to drop suddenly.

It's been a very good couple of weeks.

I made a little money since the big market hit last year.

Being very diversified helps during those bumpy times.

Back