How do you make money in a bear market?

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Originally Posted by CT8
Buy low sell high.

That right there is how you get Rich!

Always, that's the best advice yet!

For the average American you don't. I didn't read the replies but my answer is this:

Time and compounding interest is the best friend of anyone making 200K and under a year. Sure it is a proven wealth builder for those above as well but that's a much smaller percentage of who's most likely on these boards.

I'm 75 and not smart enough to stock pick. I'm in mostly index funds and ETF's, that's good enough for me. Read Boggleheads instead of trying to be a day trader. I got scared during late '18, had more cash than I've ever had in my life and left a lot of money on the table, however I lost a lot less in this downturn (six figure losses still hurt). Trying to time the market is next to impossible.

Last edited:
Only the smart people on message boards.

But how do you know the difference between the smart ones and the ones that are insane?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Only the smart people on message boards.

But how do you know the difference between the smart ones and the ones that are insane?

Usually it's not mutually exclusive.

Well you have money to make money.
You have inside information.....

Or you buy solid, quality companies on their lows and sell high.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Write covered calls, Sell calls, Sell puts

That's not what the typical small investor does.

I like leveraged 2X and 3X ETFs.

I've made a lot of money in the stock and bond market. I'm not smart enough to pick stocks that will go up in the short term. And I strictly avoid puts, calls, leverage or anything else that's complicated. They say you should stay within your circle of competence and mine is a small circle.

I buy dividend stocks when they're cheap and keep them forever. I buy broad market ETFs and low cost mutual funds and keep them forever. I've owned good performing low cost mutual funds for 40 years (that's not exactly forever but it is a long time). They say you can't time the market - the secret is time in the market.

I sell very little, though I do sell mistakes. I've made a few mistakes and when I do, I get out as fast as possible.

I diversify. That is the only "free lunch" available. I own US stocks, Canadian stocks, international stocks, Canadian bonds, international bonds.

Costs matter and I've reduced my costs as much as possible. My average MER is around 0.5% overall.

And that's how I've done it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
For starters I wouldn't take buy or sell advise from people on message boards.

By all means, take your advice from stockbrokers and others who are pumping (& dumping) stock prices!

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Write covered calls, Sell calls, Sell puts

M-O-M: don't follow that advice. If you do, we'll hear (again): "Houston, we've got a problem."

Motor Oil Madman (MOM) -

Scroll up and read what our friend from the Pacific Northwest (ecotourist) wrote.

Print it, then tape his advice on or near your PC/laptop screen. Refer to it every time you feel compelled to time the market.

Selling "bad decisions" is one thing; chasing the latest "wave of investing emotion" or reacting to short term gyrations is another.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Astro14 has it right. Stock market timing is for professionals, alleged know-it-alls and fools.

We know Astro14 as a fellow BITOGer. I'm uncertain of the difference between the other three.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I've made a lot of money in the stock and bond market. I'm not smart enough to pick stocks that will go up in the short term. And I strictly avoid puts, calls, leverage or anything else that's complicated. They say you should stay within your circle of competence and mine is a small circle.

I buy dividend stocks when they're cheap and keep them forever. I buy broad market ETFs and low cost mutual funds and keep them forever. I've owned good performing low cost mutual funds for 40 years (that's not exactly forever but it is a long time). They say you can't time the market - the secret is time in the market.

I sell very little, though I do sell mistakes. I've made a few mistakes and when I do, I get out as fast as possible.

I diversify. That is the only "free lunch" available. I own US stocks, Canadian stocks, international stocks, Canadian bonds, international bonds.

Costs matter and I've reduced my costs as much as possible. My average MER is around 0.5% overall.

And that's how I've done it.

I was going to post here but you just said everything I was going to say!

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
So although my stocks are slowly going back up, it's kind of like 2 steps forward one step back kind of thing, where before i could hold a stock for a month or so and make money. It seems like now I need to be buying and selling every 3 or 4 days to capitalize on the ups and downs. Opinions?

This is a whole new market. Hope, uncertainty and views of reality are up and down on a daily basis. Nobody - especially now - knows how to make money like they did over the last 10 years.

Back