How Do You Fit In That car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
My cousin always reams me.
For a big dude she says, How do you fit in that car???
Don't you miss your truck???
My grocery getter is a 2016 Ford C-Max and the front seat in painful as I often complain about.
Ford is doing this across the board. Seems the seats are for 120-150 pound short people.
The seats just are horrible no matter your size- bad back? Forget it!

That said I tell her I'm cheap on gas and this car costs about nothing to operate.
And it really has good room but the seats stink. My old Honda Insight was smaller but very comfortable. Zero issues!

My cousin drives nothing but Suburban's. They are great but I don't feel like paying for the gas and the little cars
are very easy to get around in. Yes I love my Ford F350 but I ain't going to use it as a highway cruiser.

Go from your C - Max to a Microcar like a Spark or a Mirage.

You will be amazed at how much roomier the cabin is! When I still had my focus I was seriously considering Spark and Mirage as a replacement. I was truly amazed at how much more room I had in the micro cars than the Ford.

I don't know what it is, but Ford's newer offerings are just cramped inside for their exterior size.

Originally Posted by Zee09

My grocery getter is a 2016 Ford C-Max and the front seat in painful as I often complain about.
Ford is doing this across the board. Seems the seats are for 120-150 pound short people.
The seats just are horrible no matter your size- bad back? Forget it!

a few years back, ford Developed a new seat frame that would fit all their forthcoming vehicles. no matter the ford, under the padding they are all the same frame.
done as a cost saving measure.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/11/14/fords-ambitious-global-seat/75239788/

I know the seats in my 09 sable are the most comfortable ones I've ever had(I'm 5'9"- 350lbs) i hope they didn't mess everything up...

Last edited:
Oh I see-thanks!
I like Ford but these seats are horrible- They kill your back, shoulders, hamstrings, and on and on.
I can't see you getting in any new Ford.
Plus on the C-Max they are putting you in a cubicle too...

Originally Posted by Miller88
Go from your C - Max to a Microcar like a Spark or a Mirage.

You will be amazed at how much roomier the cabin is! When I still had my focus I was seriously considering Spark and Mirage as a replacement. I was truly amazed at how much more room I had in the micro cars than the Ford.

I don't know what it is, but Ford's newer offerings are just cramped inside for their exterior size.

Exactly- the cars are good sized but just as you say.
The Taurus was super tight too. Like sitting in a small box.
Ford is blowing it!
My mom has an old Aveo- I think 2004- It has as much driver side room as a Mack truck
You can wear a top hat in it-lol

Im 6'2" 250lbs. It's hard to find anything that fits me anymore. The most comfortable thing I drive is a F-550 Rental truck. I do that about once a month and drive it 400 miles in a day and turn it back in. My Jeep is okay but lacks leg room.

Try a VW Passat. Amazing room. I am 6 foot, 195 pounds and I have scads of room, great seat adjustments to make me higher or lower, excellent back support and the back seat is a dream. Reminds me in a way of the back seat of the old Checker cars. With the current engine, excellent mileage as well.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Try a VW Passat. Amazing room. I am 6 foot, 195 pounds and I have scads of room, great seat adjustments to make me higher or lower, excellent back support and the back seat is a dream. Reminds me in a way of the back seat of the old Checker cars. With the current engine, excellent mileage as well.

I often considered the Passat. Sounds great. The prices are good but I always bailed because of
VW fear. But I'm over that.

I often considered the Passat. Sounds great. The prices are good but I always bailed because of

Dad is 6' 2 250ish and drives the 2012 Jetta. He drives it no problem, he hates his work 2014 Focus though. Seats aren't a problem but the pillar is.

As a very tall hombre, I used to love my Dodge Grand Caravan with the shifter on the steering column no console extending where I like to stretch my legs.

After that vehicle was retired, I wanted something with better gas mileage than the Caravan. I choose a Subaru outback because it had the longest legroom of any vehicle in its class. The center console means its not as roomy as the Caravan, but it works good enough. I do miss my 2002 Ford 250 that I had a bench seat and massive legroom, but that rust bucket (it was parked most of its life around the corner from the ocean) had to go. It stunk as a daily driver, horrible gas mileage a very, very wide turning radius and a harsh ride. But it sure had room.

May I suggest either Golf SportWagen or Golf Alltrack?
Because nobody wants a wagon, you may be in for some discounts....

Find yourself a 1st gen ('04-'06) xB like mine-I'm 6'4" 280 and I can fit in the BACK SEAT without having to move the front seat up! It;s like driving a phone booth, it has more room in the back seat than a Suburban! A little bouncier, though.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Find yourself a 1st gen ('04-'06) xB like mine-I'm 6'4" 280 and I can fit in the BACK SEAT without having to move the front seat up! It;s like driving a phone booth, it has more room in the back seat than a Suburban! A little bouncier, though.

I had an 06 Element and it was as roomy as all get out.
But too noisy on the interstate and a real gas hog. Bought it new.

I'm 6'6", with short legs for my height and a long torso, and drive a 2009 Aveo5 as a winter beater. It's roomier inside than you think. The dash is really compact and "pushed forward" in the car, allowing decent room.

Nothing beats my Impala though, it's like driving a living room down the highway. It's relaxing to drive around, almost like watching a movie of how things should be.

I've had good luck with Subaru cars (as far as room goes. My Forester thought it was a Diesel and burned a lot of oil), VW, and Hyundai/Kia cars somewhat surprisingly. I drove a Sonata a few years ago that was roomy in every dimension.

It drives me crazy that I have to "buy a bigger car" to fit inside when most of the time the front seat is spaced up the 3 or 4 inches I need with nothing but air under it.

Most Japanese cars have the steering columns mounted too low. I'd want the highest possible setting to be the bottom of the range. The European and Korean cars are better that way.

I'm a big fellow (6'2"; 300lb) and the wife's 2014 Rogue with the "Zero Gravity" seats are awesome and our Grand Touring car of record (only I drive). I still put the seats all the way back and all the way down but she rides very nice. I can drive 12 hours with minimal breaks (bathroom/food/gas) and am just fine. Being that the Rogue is more akin to a CUV makes getting in and out very nice compared to my Optima (which is also lowered).

Last edited:
subaru outback.. could fit 4 of you in it all with tons of legroom.. and haul stuff at the same time (huge hatch/trunk area)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back