How do you dispose of your worn out cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that can't be parted out can be sold for scrap . Somebody will come get it .

Price it right. It will sell. Everything has value.

Bare minimum is $300-$500 for scrap value at a junk yard or metal recycler.

I bought an old Ford Taurus years ago for like $500. I drove it for years until the transmission blew up. It was a junk car, and not worth repairing. I think I sold it to the scrap yard for $400. I got years and years use out of it for $100.

I second the charity route. I've never 'given away' a vehicle although the one I'm driving now may end up that way. NPR runs an ad, Make a Wish I believe also takes them among others.

Help somebody out and save yourself some hassle. Also tax write off!

You can call around to scrap yards and get a quote. If you go the parts car route just be warned that you’ll get a lot of tire kickers.

In modern times I’m noticing less and less people park their worn out cars in fields, which is good in my opinion.
Still pretty regular in small town IA, I'm afraid. You could relive the 80's and 90's in parts of this state.

You can call around to scrap yards and get a quote. If you go the parts car route just be warned that you’ll get a lot of tire kickers.

In modern times I’m noticing less and less people park their worn out cars in fields, which is good in my opinion.
It's kinda cool seeing an old 40's truck out in a field, but something like an '04 Kia definitely wouldn't have the same appeal 😂

My friends dad runs a metals place. He get old vehicles, puts them in the shredder whole. Sometimes takes engine and trans and rear end out.

i park them in the front yard. every year i get a deer during hunting season, take them to the taxidermist, and set the deer in the driver's seat of one of the junkers with one hoof on the wheel and the other out the window waving to passing cars.

for reasons that escape me, i'm still single.

I had to get rid of a 98 Buick Century & a 96 Chrysler Concorde because both were no longer repairable (rust and suspension problems). I called "Eddie"...and he came and towed them away. Paid me $200 each.

It seems pretty popular back East to scrap cars. We don't really do that here, you can always sell them since they don't rust out.

My dad used to just park his cars in predominantly Latino neighborhoods with a “for sale” sign. If it was running, it would usually get scooped up

Of course just find a charity and most will send a tow truck. Not sure exactly what they do with them (there have been some controversial charities that got in trouble for one thing or another with regards to car donations) but once it's out of your hands, who really cares?

The local air quailty district pays 1200 if it pass smog and is functional, that's usually more than any other alternative than just keep driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back