How do you dispose of antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wow in some places there is jail time for dumping it down the toilet or sink.. It all endss up in your drinking water

No it doesn't, unless untreated sewage also ends up in your drinking water.

And jail time? Where is this place?

Wow in some places there is jail time for dumping it down the toilet or sink.. It all endss up in your drinking water

[citation needed]

My city garage has drums and they accept coolant and used oil. The used oil is used to heat their garage where the city trucks are maintained.

Last edited:

Where did you get your screen name?

You folks that have municipalities where you can drop it off at a recycling center are fortunate. Here in Pike County, PA (Poconos) we do not have that and I have yet to find an auto parts store around here that will take it. I need to do a cooling system service on both of our cars and I may end up taking the old coolant over to my parents house to dump down the toilet (sanitary sewage treatment plant takes care of it).

Andrew S.

Mine goes under the vehicle I'm working on. There is no way to collect it from the mutiple drain and fills it takes to flush out the radiator. Not much different from all the fluids that get washed off the road when it rains.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Mine goes under the vehicle I'm working on. There is no way to collect it from the mutiple drain and fills it takes to flush out the radiator. Not much different from all the fluids that get washed off the road when it rains.

I've only done multiple drain and fills once but still collected each drain in the distilled water jugs. It can be easily done during idle and / or cool down.

My waste company collects it along with other hazardous waste for no extra charge.

Most of my local chain auto parts stores DO NOT take AF/coolant for recycling. Try asking a local shop?

One time, I took around 5-gallons of flushed AF to a local Firestone for 'free' disposal (although, I did buy the workers a $5 pizza from Little Caesars). I did flush the last gallon of clear-ish water down the toilet.

b57360e1cdc01224eeb7ee6679dcd050_zps9d69728b.jpg

Don't mix it in with oil and dump it in the oil recycling place.

Have seen recently where recycled lubricants used as bunker fuel have contained glycols, which have partially survived the flash distillation process, then agglomerated all the sub 5um particles (5um final filters) into 150um+ particles, which then wreak havoc on the end user trying to burn the stuff...

Interesting investigation, but PITA.

I recently took it to a local auto repair shop at a gas station I frequently fill up at. He took a few gallons I had laying around waiting for the local hazmat recycling day. The good news is it's a maintenance item that isn't done too frequently.

FWIW I used to take two 4,000 gallon tanker loads per day of "industrial wastewater" to the local treatment plant when I worked for DuPont. It had an antifreeze smell.

Honestly, with all the cooling work I've done on the Cavalier lately, it just goes onto the dirt. It's so hot and dry that it's going to evaporate well before it touches the water table (which, according to the maps, is somewhere between 300 and 700 feet deep around here).

Last edited:
Please DO NOT just drain it on the ground. Ethylene glycol is animal toxic AND highly attractive tastewise. Find a way to soak / disperse it at least if not the other options.

I heard in many places you could flush it down the toilet. The sewerage treatment breaks it down with all the other organic material.

I live near a Safety-Kleen, so its a no brainer. The old municipality I lived in said to dump it down the toilet. Of course its the same municipality that used liquid de icer on the streets in the wintertime which is mostly used fracking fluid with a little beet juice to make it tacky.

Originally Posted By: old1
I have never seen antifreeze evaporate.
Dump it on cement and watch for a couple days. Same with brake fluid. I generally collect the straight stuff drained from the radiator but in the end it gets dumped in the gravel along with all the rest of the water for the flush if I am not reusing it.

Dilution is the solution for pollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back