How do these fluids look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured out how I'm going to store all this equipment in my apartment. Husky (Home Depot) has an awesome mobile tool chest system. Going to get the base unit and keep most stuff in there (funnels, bottle jack, stands, etc.).

As for where to do the maintenance... I have another friend who wants to learn more about maintaining his own vehicles, so I'm going to show him what I know, and learn together with other stuff. He's got a Honda CR-V with 90,000 miles that he picked up a few months ago, so I think we'll be looking at a lot of the same things on our vehicles.

He has a driveway and lives in a nice quiet neighborhood, so it should be ideal.

Last edited:
Did you change the oil yet? If so what did you use in it? From the d/s it appears to prob have about 3 qts. in there right now so I'd get that done asap.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Did you change the oil yet? If so what did you use in it? From the d/s it appears to prob have about 3 qts. in there right now so I'd get that done asap.

Not yet. We don't drive much (neither of us drives to work), so I'm not too worried. But I do want to get this done before the end of this month when we go for a small road trip.

The hang-up is 1) spending $320 to get everything, 2) getting up to my friends to do it. I'm checking the coolant tomorrow (using a baster) and ordering or picking up everything today.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Typically at the same time - just drive several miles between each one.

At your mileage you will also need to do a valve adjustment. The exhaust valves tend to get tight on these engines.

The engine calls for 5W-20 (or 0W-20 on the later models).

Just wanted to circle back to this, because you put valve adjustment on my radar.

I found the page in the service manual for valve adjustments, and I found this video of someone doing it on their first gen Honda Fit. He seems like he knows what he's doing, albeit a little long-winded. In that video, he also re-positioned his timing chain from 3 to UP. I haven't done valve adjustments before, or timing - I assume it's just a good idea to ensure the timing chain is TDC before adjusting the valves, otherwise you could screw everything up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back